SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1990 900 with a newly rebuilt SPG engine in it. Honestly I don't really know what that means. I was told they are rare, but don't know what that means either. I have tried to find more info on the net, but there isn't much.

It is in a 1990 900 S, and the car needs some body work done ( new paint, restitch front drivers seat cover, felt from roof inside replaced). I have had it sitting in on a farm for the last few years because I didn't have a place to put it, but the person I bought it from said I should never sell it. I bought it from a man who rebuilt the engine, and then passed away. His son is friends with my brother, so that's how I got involved. He also has a kit that goes on the front end.

Now I have to get it off that farm. Can anyone help me with any info or advice on what I should do? It would be nice to fix it up (it's the fastest car I've ever been in), but difficult because I am in Dallas now, and the car is in Lincoln, NE. After sitting outside on the farm for about 3 years, I'm afraid to try and drive it that far.

Is the engine really rare enough that I should keep it? I can't even figure out where I would go or what I would do to sell the engine/car. Someone recommended swapping the engine out into a car that was already in better condition body wise. But I don't know how much that would cost, or what it all includes me having to do.

I am not a guy, I don't know anyone who can help me with anything concerning auto questions. And I definitely don't know how to do anything myself.

If anyone out there would like to share their expertise to a chick who would be SUPER impressed and THANKFUL, I would appreciate it.

Thanks for taking the time to read my little plea!

·
Registered
2,774 Posts
I have a 1990 900 with a newly rebuilt SPG engine in it. Honestly I don't really know what that means. I was told they are rare, but don't know what that means either. I have tried to find more info on the net, but there isn't much.

It is in a 1990 900 S, and the car needs some body work done ( new paint, restitch front drivers seat cover, felt from roof inside replaced). I have had it sitting in on a farm for the last few years because I didn't have a place to put it, but the person I bought it from said I should never sell it. I bought it from a man who rebuilt the engine, and then passed away. His son is friends with my brother, so that's how I got involved. He also has a kit that goes on the front end.

Now I have to get it off that farm. Can anyone help me with any info or advice on what I should do? It would be nice to fix it up (it's the fastest car I've ever been in), but difficult because I am in Dallas now, and the car is in Lincoln, NE. After sitting outside on the farm for about 3 years, I'm afraid to try and drive it that far.

Is the engine really rare enough that I should keep it? I can't even figure out where I would go or what I would do to sell the engine/car. Someone recommended swapping the engine out into a car that was already in better condition body wise. But I don't know how much that would cost, or what it all includes me having to do.

I am not a guy, I don't know anyone who can help me with anything concerning auto questions. And I definitely don't know how to do anything myself.

If anyone out there would like to share their expertise to a chick who would be SUPER impressed and THANKFUL, I would appreciate it.

Thanks for taking the time to read my little plea!
First off, I would like to welcome you to Saab Central. This is a great group of people that will be happy to give you as much advise as possible.
The SPG is a bit hard to find a real one and SPG stands for, Special performance group. The SPG had a better suspension, brakes, turbo with an (APC) Automatic performance control, witch controls the turbo boost. It also was fully loaded with power windows, sun-roof, leather seats, Air conditioning and more.
If your car is a 900 S then it wasn't a turbo from the start that I know of. If your car has a turbo in it now, then it is possible that the motor is from an SPG or at least a turbo. I really don't think there is a way to tell if the motor came from an SPG.
The head liner is something that is easy to fix and the body work, will unless you are willing to do the work yourself, you will have to have someone help you with that.
If you can find a rust free car that is in better shape, well that would be sometimes faster than, fixing the one you have, if you left it sitting in weeds for 3 years. Motor wise, it should just start up fine with no problems, but the rest of the car, well some pictures of the car would help.
I hope some of this was of some help and in saying this, If the car really isn't in bad shape, it will be worth keeping.

·
Registered
918 Posts
SPGs never had different brakes. The engine is the same as any other 16-valve turbo.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks kimoSaabe's

I know that this engine was not originally in the car it is now. I bought it from my brothers friend's dad. I was told there was a limited number of them made (maybe around 50) and his only request was that if I bought it, I don't EVER sell it. I know pictures would help, but I'm in Texas, and the car is in Nebraska.
What I really want to know, is that if this is a limited engine that was really that rare, is it special enough that I should hold onto it and either put it in a newer body, or restore the other one. Personally, I like the car it's in now. It only needs a few repairs, probably a new battery, and a paint job.
I tried to look up online what the SPG engine was all about, and if they are rare, what price category they are in. Like I said, not to sell, but to know if I did fix it up, how much it would actually be worth.
Thanks for your teachings Saab masters.

·
Registered
2,774 Posts
I know that this engine was not originally in the car it is now. I bought it from my brothers friend's dad. I was told there was a limited number of them made (maybe around 50) and his only request was that if I bought it, I don't EVER sell it. I know pictures would help, but I'm in Texas, and the car is in Nebraska.
What I really want to know, is that if this is a limited engine that was really that rare, is it special enough that I should hold onto it and either put it in a newer body, or restore the other one. Personally, I like the car it's in now. It only needs a few repairs, probably a new battery, and a paint job.
I tried to look up online what the SPG engine was all about, and if they are rare, what price category they are in. Like I said, not to sell, but to know if I did fix it up, how much it would actually be worth.
Thanks for your teachings Saab masters.
If the body of the car that you have is in relatively good shape, then it is work fixing. You could see if your brothers friends dad can help do some of the work for you if that is possible, since he already did some of the work on the car. Is the car a standard or automatic transmission? All SPG's came with a standard 5 speed that I know of and in regards to the motor it's self being more rare than a standard turbo, I would say the only thing that would make the motor rare is actually being in and part of an original SPG. Maybe I can put it this way, It's basically a turbo motor with a better "Automatic Performance control module or what is called an APC. What the APC does is control the spool up time and boost of the turbo. You could say that it is the personality of the motor/turbo and some years had better one's than others. In saying this, you could swap in another, similar year turbo motor in your car and as long as the APC is in tact from the motor before, you should get pretty much the same results in performance. The SPG basically was the top of the line saab with all the options and a better suspension for handling. It also had speed rated tires, better rims, (3 spoke SPG rims) and a lower body kit that just gave it a more sporty look. As for value, if your car wasn't a turbo in the first place and has had one added, I really don't know what to say about that. It could be valued as a turbo as long as it was done right. You could check out what the NADA says your car is worth in your area. If I can find the link to it I will post it later. Find out what year SPG your motor came from and if the APC box was installed with it as well. This may help with a worth. If you like the car and it drives well and is reliable, have fun with it. You could find out if anyone on here is from that area and have them go over the car with you. There are some fine people on this site that are very knowledgeable and I sure they would be willing to help you out. A picture of the car would be a great help. If the paint is just dull, you may be able to just polish it out.
Hope this was of some help.
Dennis

·
Registered
1 Posts
SPG's are extremely rare by any account, in 1990 there were only 230 imported , and those numbers rarely get more common than 300 a year, so finding much information is likely pretty difficult. The car is a little different than just a few performance upgrades. A look at the engine will show the turbo, which is common, but also had a extremely oversized intercooler and upgraded exhaust. I have driven the standard 1990 900 Turbo and also a SPG SPG 5-speed, and there is a drastic difference between their output. 900 turbo has some hustle, but a tuned SPG will lay rubber down the length of the block. Most people will testify though, the complete package makes a big difference in its worth. So if the engine was taken out of the original SPG and put in the 900 S, you are more likely to catch a better price if you find someone wanting to build a SPG.

·
Registered
2,774 Posts
SPG's are extremely rare by any account, in 1990 there were only 230 imported , and those numbers rarely get more common than 300 a year, so finding much information is likely pretty difficult. The car is a little different than just a few performance upgrades. A look at the engine will show the turbo, which is common, but also had a extremely oversized intercooler and upgraded exhaust. I have driven the standard 1990 900 Turbo and also a SPG SPG 5-speed, and there is a drastic difference between their output. 900 turbo has some hustle, but a tuned SPG will lay rubber down the length of the block. Most people will testify though, the complete package makes a big difference in its worth. So if the engine was taken out of the original SPG and put in the 900 S, you are more likely to catch a better price if you find someone wanting to build a SPG.
(extremely oversized intercooler and upgraded exhaust.)
Somebody can correct me if Im wrong here, but Extremely oversized intercooler? I don't think so. That small thing behind the driver side head light is not in any way oversized. Most of us are looking for after market stuff to put on to keep the charge cool. The intercooler can become heat soaked fast and not even the saab 9000 had a sufficient intercooler. Also the exhaust, is the same on the turbo and SPG models, even the manifold.
Again if Im wrong, let me know. Im not pretending to know everything about these things, only that I own one and can see with my eye's the difference on some things.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
spg1,

Thanks for your input, it was helpful. I'm thinking dropping it into a different car is the way to go.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts