SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1990 900 with a newly rebuilt SPG engine in it. Honestly I don't really know what that means. I was told they are rare, but don't know what that means either. I have tried to find more info on the net, but there isn't much.

It is in a 1990 900 S, and the car needs some body work done ( new paint, restitch front drivers seat cover, felt from roof inside replaced). I have had it sitting in on a farm for the last few years because I didn't have a place to put it, but the person I bought it from said I should never sell it. I bought it from a man who rebuilt the engine, and then passed away. His son is friends with my brother, so that's how I got involved. He also has a kit that goes on the front end.

Now I have to get it off that farm. Can anyone help me with any info or advice on what I should do? It would be nice to fix it up (it's the fastest car I've ever been in), but difficult because I am in Dallas now, and the car is in Lincoln, NE. After sitting outside on the farm for about 3 years, I'm afraid to try and drive it that far.

Is the engine really rare enough that I should keep it? I can't even figure out where I would go or what I would do to sell the engine/car. Someone recommended swapping the engine out into a car that was already in better condition body wise. But I don't know how much that would cost, or what it all includes me having to do.

I am not a guy, I don't know anyone who can help me with anything concerning auto questions. And I definitely don't know how to do anything myself.

If anyone out there would like to share their expertise to a chick who would be SUPER impressed and THANKFUL, I would appreciate it.

Thanks for taking the time to read my little plea!

·
Registered
7,087 Posts
engines are pretty bullet proof normally so if it;s had a rebuild for whatever reason that's no prob just a plus.
not advisable to drtive as brakes might be stuck and clutch might be stuck also hire a trailer or get someone you know to trailer it home for you.
I'm sure someone local will be in touch, but keep it even if a bit of work wants doing or at least kkep it as a 'spares, car and buy a runner.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
engines are pretty bullet proof normally so if it;s had a rebuild for whatever reason that's no prob just a plus.
not advisable to drtive as brakes might be stuck and clutch might be stuck also hire a trailer or get someone you know to trailer it home for you.
I'm sure someone local will be in touch, but keep it even if a bit of work wants doing or at least kkep it as a 'spares, car and buy a runner.
SPGs are collectible; a 900S is not. It sounds like you might have a parts car.

Put it on the Dallas Craigslist sort of like you explained here, but more brief. Maybe get a man friend to handle it. Ask $500 obo. Curiosity will overcome some local Saabophile and at least he will come out and tell you what you have. Maybe the previous owner had a wrecked SPG with a rebuilt engine and he popped it into the 900S. But that wouldn't make it help the value much, if it's not running.

The engine from an SPG will have a turbo; the 900S like does not. Any car guy you know should be able to spot the turbo if it has one. That would be a start for knowing what to advertise. If it's not a turbo, someone is likely mistaken.

·
Registered
918 Posts
Probably worth mentioning there is absolutely no difference whatsoever between a normal 16-valve Turbo engine and a SPG engine...

edit: OK, before someone comes along and "corrects" me, the 1990 SPG got the smaller quicker-spooling Mitsubishi TE05 turbocharger a year before normal turbo cars. The extra 5hp (from '87-'89) or 15hp ('90 and '91) comes from a differently tuned APC brain. Neither really has anything to do with the engine itself.

Anyway... I'm awfully sorry to say it doesn't sound like you have anything particularly rare--in fact, your description makes it sound like a bit of a mongrel. I think Steve's idea of throwing it on CL to see who comes along is a good'un! Some pictures of the body, interior, and engine bay would be helpful. Good luck!

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
Here's the main question you should ask yourself: regardless of what other people say, do you really want to sell the car, or would you rather fix it up and keep it? If the answer to the previous question is to fix it up, the best case as mentioned is to trailer it home, then you can worry about any outstanding repairs in due time. In particular, if it's been sitting outside but was running fine originally, I doubt there's anything seriously wrong with it; it simply needs a going-over to see if there are any problems with it. From what it sounds like, the body may be in okay condition but still structurally sound, so I wouldn't worry about that if you can live with its current condition. But there'll be regular consumables you'll probably need to fix like brakes as mentioned, and maybe basic ignition stuff and make sure the fuel lines aren't aged, and that nothing's growing in it.

If you can't get it trailered home, there are quite a few honest, knowledgeable people here, and it wouldn't surprise me if there is someone in the area who may be able to come out and help you take a quick look at what potential problems are that you can worry about later or what needs immediate attention before you can move it. Or who may be interested in purchasing it. I know if I were in the area, I'd help you take a look at it for a nice lunch and a case of beer! :p

li Arc

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks kimoSaabe's

Thanks for your replies. The engine was taken out of another car, rebuilt, and then put into the 900. I have been told by mechanics that it is in great shape. It had always ran great while I drove it. I had gotten a newer car and didn't have a place to keep that one also.
I had been told that the engine was worth a bit of money, but the suggestion to sell it for $500 makes that seem like it may not be so. Obviously, it only depends on whether there is a buyer or not.
I do love the car, and Saab's all around.
If anyone knows how much it would cost to swap out engine's into another Saab that needs less cosmetic attention, I would appreciate it.
I think I need to call around in NE (where it is now) and Dallas, to compare, and see which place might be easier and cheaper to get it done. Knowing a fair price would help. Once they figure out I'm a chick who has no idea, I'm screwed.
Thanks gentlemen!

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
To me, it sounds like you're ripping yourself off if you sell it for $500; up here, that might fetch somewhere more around $1500, esp. if the engine is good. Heck, if the engine has been rebuilt, that alone will sell for more than $500. Also remember that value is in the eye of the beholder; it's not worth $500 to someone who isn't at all interested, but it may be worth $2k to an enthusiast looking for a new turbocharged engine or mechanically sound running c900. I have seen restored SPG's going for $7k-12k, and nicely restored non-SPGs going for $3-8k. Low mileage cars fetch even more. Of course, a dog of a car in either style can go for less than $400.

Unfortuantely, I don't know how much an engine swap would cost, but are you asking because you have a chassis in better condition in mind you're thinking of swapping it into? Or are you asking more like for if someone else were to buy it and do the swap? I remember the first time I had the transmission replaced on my car, I had my dad's friend mechanic do it for me; he charged me $750 after we hauled a good used transmission from the yard.

Maybe you should post the responses from the shop here, so that they're not just dealing with a chick who doesn't know much about her car: they're dealing with the Saab community. We can probably give you some good suggestions on possible responses.

li Arc

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
To me, it sounds like you're ripping yourself off if you sell it for $500; li Arc
My understanding is that the car has been sitting for 3 yrs and isn't running now. Ambarchy seems uncertain about the particulars regarding the car's history, engine rebuild, etc., and apparently doesn't have any documentation to substantiate the sketchy details she does have. If that's the case, scrap value is about all you can get for it.

Around here (St. Louis), a few yards will pick up salvage cars for free, some charge a towing fee, and some will give you $100 if you take it to them. If you sell it direct to the shredders by the ton you will get a little more but, you've got to pull the fuel tank first. It doesn't sound like that is an option for Ambarchy.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Jeff took the words right outta my head... Short of the Turbo issue 1 year earlier, there is no difference in engines. And, unless someone went to a lot of work, there is no turbo, APC, intercooler, or other of the electrics to make it run like an 900 Turbo / SPG...

All that said... If it's not a total basket case, and our Saab chick is able to spend some time, money and work to get it going... I hope she finds a way to get home! I hate hearing of the classics going to the crusher.

As long as a classic 900 owner understands that it is a rare case where you get your money back out of your car when you sell it, and that restoring one is a labor of love, not of profit (at least for the time being); the smile is hard to rub off! There are very few cars that are more fun to drive!

Cheers,

Jim

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Thanks for all the information li- Arc. Totally helpful. I bought the car under a promise that I would never sell it. He had told me there was only 50 or so ever made and that it was so rare he didn't want it to go to just anyone (he was passing away, and had restored cars his entire life). So as far as I know he put the spg engine in it and did a whole bunch of other stuff (mechanical), but never was able to finish the body. It has always ran great and it has been started at least four times a year since it's been out there. It's true, I don't know much about cars and engines, and clearly am in a place where that makes me not a part of the club. But I appreciate you taking the time to help give me something to go off of moving forward. Am going back in a month, so I will get some and post them, if anybody feels like they could (or want to) let me borrow their brains. It is certainly the fastest car that I, and most of the guys who have driven it, have ever been in. So that alone makes it kick ***. And it's not going to the crusher. I promised. To a dying guy. Kinda makes you wanna try to stick to it.
Thanks.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts