SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I just swapped my motor. And now the speedo refuses to work. I checked the cable at the transmission, and it is connected properly. The speedo does not register anything. To test, I undid the connection at the back of the speedo, and the cable spins when the car is moving. But when I connect up the speedo, nothing. Anyone else have the same issue? Is there something that I have done wrong? Is there an way to check the connection at the speedo?

Cheers, Gus

·
Registered
5,673 Posts
Hi,
I just swapped my motor. And now the speedo refuses to work. I checked the cable at the transmission, and it is connected properly. The speedo does not register anything. To test, I undid the connection at the back of the speedo, and the cable spins when the car is moving. But when I connect up the speedo, nothing. Anyone else have the same issue? Is there something that I have done wrong? Is there an way to check the connection at the speedo?

Cheers, Gus
Are you using the same speedo cable and speedo? If you are then to me the only possibility is you aren't inserting the speedo cable far enough into the speedo.

There are some changes between the years of speedo bracket at the back of the instrument panel but AFAIK all the cables are the same.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Are you using the same speedo cable and speedo? If you are then to me the only possibility is you aren't inserting the speedo cable far enough into the speedo.

There are some changes between the years of speedo bracket at the back of the instrument panel but AFAIK all the cables are the same.
This is what has me baffled. The car is RHD so changing the cable was never an option. The car had a straight engine swap, same speedo cable, and same speedo. All i can think is that for some reason the speedo cable is not going into the back of the speedo properly. Does this make sense?

Cheers, Gus

·
Registered
5,673 Posts
Makes perfect sense and entirely possible. The speedo cable is square, you may have to rotate it a little to get the speedo cable to go all the way in, when it does the bracket/clip on the back should click and the cable should not want to come out of the back of the speedo.

Just play around with it, rotate the cable a little at a time until you get it right.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Makes perfect sense and entirely possible. The speedo cable is square, you may have to rotate it a little to get the speedo cable to go all the way in, when it does the bracket/clip on the back should click and the cable should not want to come out of the back of the speedo.

Just play around with it, rotate the cable a little at a time until you get it right.
Resolved... well sort of...

The speedo cable was somehow was streched. The interior cable was not reaching the speedo. I picked up a new cable and comparing the two the problem was very obvious.

Now on to pulling the old one out. The cable was wedged in so my wife and I were pushing and pulling on the cable RHD car). The end of the cable came off and my wife ended up cutting her arm when she tried to dislodge it. No easy way to fish the new cable through. Also on the other side, I ended up breaking the pin off my heater control valve! This is getting to be ridiculous. Off to buy a replacement heater control valve.

Any ideas for getting the cable through?

Cheers, Gus

·
Registered
4,044 Posts
Gus ,
Hope the wife is ok ...

Connect a nice heavy piece of cord/wire to the existing outer sheath ....

pull the existing outer out of the car , thus pulling your draw wire thru ...

Insert your inner cable on the bench out of the car ... ( no more cut arms )

Use the draw wire to pull it back ..

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Gus ,
Hope the wife is ok ...

Connect a nice heavy piece of cord/wire to the existing outer sheath ....

pull the existing outer out of the car , thus pulling your draw wire thru ...

Insert your inner cable on the bench out of the car ... ( no more cut arms )

Use the draw wire to pull it back ..
That was the plan, but the old cable snapped and disappeared into the dash!

·
Registered
4,044 Posts
Hop on the bus Gus ,
We need a new plan , Stan ,
No need to be coy Roy ....

NO need to discuss much
just set that *missing* cable free .... .

Start fresh , there must be 50 ways to feed into a new speedo cable ...( or to leave your lover ) ;ol;

Use the RHS speaker grille for viewing .. from the engine side and thru the firewall grommet ... feed a piece of something ... EG Fence wire ... coat hanger .... to be your draw wire ... hook on the new cable and drag it in .. Soap it up will help ..

1 - 8 of 8 Posts