SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I will be getting a chance to run my 84' 900 with 300k km on the clock on a closed racetrack soon (I help some guys here at uni who r building a crazy racing sidecar). Thing is I haven't driven faster than 100kph (open road speed limit here is 100kph). I'm not trying to get the fastest laptime but more trying to see what the top speed is so I'll be taking it easy until the main straight. Does anyone have any idea what I can do to my car before the day to make it quicker (and safer)? I've got newish oil, gearbox oil, plugs and cables. I can boost into the mid-yellow only after renewing every vacuum hose in the engine bay and dash but as to the APC not sure if its working 100%.

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
xww10 said:
Hi all,

I will be getting a chance to run my 84' 900 with 300k km on the clock on a closed racetrack soon (I help some guys here at uni who r building a crazy racing sidecar). Thing is I haven't driven faster than 100kph (open road speed limit here is 100kph). I'm not trying to get the fastest laptime but more trying to see what the top speed is so I'll be taking it easy until the main straight. Does anyone have any idea what I can do to my car before the day to make it quicker (and safer)? I've got newish oil, gearbox oil, plugs and cables. I can boost into the mid-yellow only after renewing every vacuum hose in the engine bay and dash but as to the APC not sure if its working 100%.
welllll... this isn't the safest idea, and i don't reccomend it if you have to drive home in that car, but if you disconnect the vacuum line that goes from your wastegate to your APC solenoid, you'll boost like crazy with very little lag, but it's not safe to do it for extended periods because you lose all knock protection... i did it for about a month, never had a problem with it, but i rarely raced it :confused: i kept my eye on the gauge and my ears on the engine, and i was aight

·
Registered
3,701 Posts
I would NOT touch the wastegate vacuum hose unless you want to have a turbo that looks like this

or blow your headgasket

or break something else.

Check the timing on your car if you havent already. Check out your airfilter. Renew if necessary. Have fun, and make sure that you have the correct speed rating on your tires for the speed you think you'll be running.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No, I don't want to blow my car up! Yes, I recently adjusted the timing, made a heck of a difference :D . I'll put some 98 octane fuel and see what happens... can't wait!

·
Registered
279 Posts
Don't know if you have been racing before but the two things that make the biggest difference to the top speed you can achieve on the straight are firstly what exit speed you can achieve on the preceding corner and how short a distance you can brake in at the end, so make sure your tires have plenty of grip and that your brakes are up to scratch.

I got to 134kph (according to my GPS) recently on the freeway home just accelerating to get past a truck, so you should easily reach 160kph or more as long as you have enough straight.

·
Registered
10,081 Posts
arouch said:
I got to 134kph (according to my GPS) recently on the freeway home just accelerating to get past a truck
...and you could still breath? <grin>

134kph is just under 85mph - our motorways here regularly cruise faster, and that's not exactly an unseen velocity down some of the backlanes I commute on... <allegedly, officer>

XWW10 - If you're not used to speeds over 100kph, don't decide that you MUST, MUST, MUST get the car flat and go for it. You will break something, quite possibly yourself. If the car's in any kind of health, it'll get towards double that speed.

Take it easy, and concentrate on getting a good flow going round the circuit. View the circuit as a whole - exit each bend already thinking about how and where you need to be for the next bend, because you'll be on it before you know it.

DON'T look at the speedo at all. I'd even suggest masking it off and driving solely on the revs. Use plenty of the rev range, and keep it on boost (especially if you think the boost is slightly softer than it should be) - but don't actively try to thrape it to the red line every time. _Smoothness_ is the key to being fast. And not crashing. Not crashing really helps.

·
Registered
429 Posts
hehe high speed runs :cool:

My NA 89' pulled off 190km/h on 91 octane everything stock, later on after I'd done some minor mods like Cold Air Intake, new plugs/airfilter/oil/O2 sensor 98 Octane and took it to 210km/h (130mph).

So a turbo that doesn't have an absolutely rooted motor is going to top 250km/h with ease...

I knew dudes in NZ were a bit backwards but damn you've only ever been to 100km/h? Maybe you should get a little bit more practice on highways before going for a highspeed run.

Also my brakes faded after I slowed down from ~160 to 100 a few times so you must want to made sure your brake pads are on ok shape b4 hitting the track

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
arouch said:
Don't know if you have been racing before but the two things that make the biggest difference to the top speed you can achieve on the straight are firstly what exit speed you can achieve on the preceding corner and how short a distance you can brake in at the end, so make sure your tires have plenty of grip and that your brakes are up to scratch.

I got to 134kph (according to my GPS) recently on the freeway home just accelerating to get past a truck, so you should easily reach 160kph or more as long as you have enough straight.
OK, got it. No, I haven't had any circuit experience whatsoever. Thanks TooMany2cvs, that is sound advice. I'll try to follow it. My saab should be in decent health (given I've got all my maintenance advice from this forum :lol: ). ******, yes some say that New Zealand is half way around the world but 10 years behind. What passes for a highway is a single lane road with no barrier in between. U can see why now that the speed limit is only 100kph (u don't want to go any faster anyway). That's why I'm looking forward to a the track run!

·
Registered
10,081 Posts
****** said:
So a turbo that doesn't have an absolutely rooted motor is going to top 250km/h with ease...
155mph? Not A Chance...

First off, you'll plain run out of revs. At the 37kph/1000rpm given in the '92 handbook floating about the web somewhere, that's going to be 6,750rpm - over a thousand rpm past peak power.

OK, so type 8 primaries will lower the revs. but there still just plain isn't the power there without serious mods.

Saab themselves only ever quoted 127mph max from the 175bhp T16. There's a HUGE amount of extra power needed for that next 30mph/50kph, because of the rapid rise in drag as speeds rise.

To put it into perspective, Ford's current Focus (similar weight to the c900, better aerodynamics) is quoting 123mph from 123bhp for the 1.8, and 128mph from 142bhp for the 2.0, yet "only" 152mph from the 221bhp 2.5t ST.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I've gotten up to ~150km/h (95mph) according to the speedometer with relative ease, with knock/boost problems. Didn't stay there for more then just to look down and see it. Dumbass P.O. put a pair (!!) of studded snows on the car and so I don't wanna corner hardish with this yet.

·
Registered
10,081 Posts
fetchitfido said:
I've gotten up to ~150km/h (95mph) according to the speedometer with relative ease, with knock/boost problems.
I've sat mine at 90-100mph steady for 90min or so - would have been longer, but I got home... - and I've seen 120ish on the speedo. :nono;

(Allegedly, he adds, looking up just in time to see the Police cruise past the office window...)

I've got no idea how accurate the speedo is - my GPS has died - but there's no way there was even another indicated 35mph to come, even though it was still pulling reasonably hard at 110-115.

·
Registered
429 Posts
TooMany2cvs said:
155mph? Not A Chance...

First off, you'll plain run out of revs. At the 37kph/1000rpm given in the '92 handbook floating about the web somewhere, that's going to be 6,750rpm - over a thousand rpm past peak power.

OK, so type 8 primaries will lower the revs. but there still just plain isn't the power there without serious mods.
I have type 7 primaries in my NA, I dont remember but I think it was around 5000RPM at 210. A turbo C900 with type 8 primaries will blow by 250km/h...

If not stock then with the APC mod, CAI and running high octane will take it there 100%.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Back in 89 I worked with a dude who owned an 88 Aero, lowered, battery in the boot, the whole shebang (probably where my interest in SAAB started, but I had a BMW 535i at the time and couldn't part with it). Anyways, he had a favourite bit of straight road, two-lane blacktop with only farm gates opening onto it, somewhere between Geelong and Ballaraat. 10km long and he could get to over 210kph.

Personally, I have driven a Holden Torana SLR 5000 (308 cu. in) to an indicated 140mph (240kph) on a country road before the obligatory sharp corner arrived to curtail the fun. Bit of a rush, but things come at you really quick so it is not recommended on anything but a controlled road.

Problem with NZ roads (and I have driven there) is they are narrow and with too much traffic to get to any real speed, so commiserations and I hope you get to enjoy your track time.

·
Registered
2,996 Posts
****** said:
I have type 7 primaries in my NA, I dont remember but I think it was around 5000RPM at 210. A turbo C900 with type 8 primaries will blow by 250km/h...

If not stock then with the APC mod, CAI and running high octane will take it there 100%.
I've got a modded APC, a B234 head, B212 intake, a T3/T4 hybrid turbo, a masseeeve FMIC, a 3" downpipe, a 3.3 bar RRFPR, always run high octane and there's no danger it can do 155mph. Unless I were to push it off a very high cliff.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Taping over the speedo is a good thing--will keep you from watching it when you need to have your head in the track.

If you haven't done a brake system flush recently, might want to renew the brake fluid. Those front calipers will be plenty hot--hot enough to boil any water that has been absorbed into the brake fluid--turns it into steam, which unlike the fluid, compresses rather than push against the caliper pistons--brake fade precisely when you want it the least!

Ditto on smoothness. Go slow at first to end up going fast. Learn your way around the track. Maybe your buds with the hack would show you the proper line for a couple of laps.

Way fun. You can concentrate on your driving without having to look out for oncoming traffic and whatever else decides to try to cross the road in front of you! Work the speed up slowly--remember that you have to slow down before you can make the curve at the end of the straight!

Enjoy and let us know how it went!:cheesy:

My 88 with a turbo motor will pull to 95 mph (153kph) in 4th, and be short of red line--my guess is that the car would be good for 120-130 WFO in 5th. I haven't tried that....yet. PO got rid of the APC and dinked with the distributor curve to insure he didn't put holes in the pistons.....

·
Registered
751 Posts
im currently rebuilding my engine after having fun with boost. as to how you got your turbo into that mess i dont know..more likely you ingested something?!?!

headgasket will go if you continue to run high boost levels...its just a timer you set ;)

·
Registered
429 Posts
Albert Trout said:
I've got a modded APC, a B234 head, B212 intake, a T3/T4 hybrid turbo, a masseeeve FMIC, a 3" downpipe, a 3.3 bar RRFPR, always run high octane and there's no danger it can do 155mph. Unless I were to push it off a very high cliff.
:eek:....

Where is Iron Joe? Please inform these people that a worked T16 can do 250km/h.

If not then I'm going to think long and hard about upgrading to a turbo, surely a turbo + mods can make it go 40km/h faster than an NA?

·
Registered
751 Posts
well i've had my T16 off the clock and she kept on reving. easily reaching 150mph

·
Registered
645 Posts
Ive heard of a couple of people reaching 140 Mph+ on the speedo ( although the speedos arent always that accurate. )

1 - 20 of 56 Posts