SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
891 Posts
You can take the head off and not take the timing chain off. If you are trying to remove the head you will have to pull off the two camshaft sprockets (16v).

You have to remove the engine to replace the timing chain, unless you use a chain with a removable master link. either way I cannot thing of any special tools you will need. The head bolts are torque to yield, so in addition to a torque wrench, you will need a dial turn meter.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
dasander said:
You can take the head off and not take the timing chain off. If you are trying to remove the head you will have to pull off the two camshaft sprockets (16v).

You have to remove the engine to replace the timing chain, unless you use a chain with a removable master link. either way I cannot thing of any special tools you will need. The head bolts are torque to yield, so in addition to a torque wrench, you will need a dial turn meter.
Ya i got those tools..

my saab has never had timing chain replaced.. how do i roll in the new chain with a master link ? the old chain dont have a master link ...

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
btw, the head will be taken off because i plan to have the gasket changed this weekend... thinking to replace the chain too

1 - 4 of 4 Posts