SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
3,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
c900 Special Clutch Tools

does anyone in the UK have or have access to, the spacer ring (late type) and or the lever tool for compressing the leaves on the pressure plate?

desperately need them! ive tried matthews method (lever under doorstep with 2x4 and tape rolls) of compressing the pressure plate (works :cool: ), but without a correct spacer tool, i cant tell whether its compressed enough

basically, i want to do it properly, not bodge it, as that has effectively wasted a day
i'll obviously take very good care, and pay for all post costs
ive tried my local saab indy, and they are being tight :roll:

G

·
Registered
260 Posts
you can make a spacer using the handle off a 5 gallon bucket it works. and about a depression the pressure plate make the tool up i did i took scrap steel kicking around looked at what the tool looked like and made it.

same thing with the tool to take off the clutch line take 13mm deep socket cut a notch in it and weld a handle on then end.

good luck
stephen

·
Registered
3,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
how deep is the tool....?

i mean, how far do the leaves have to compress...?
im sure im not getting them "in" enough to let the whole lot go back in
top tip on the bucket handle tho

G

·
Registered
5,677 Posts
I've got both the little and large spacer rings, you can come borrow the one you need if you want to drive down to me (you can post it back). I'll help you compress it too and put the ring in if you like.

The 2x4 under the doorstep/tyre of another car will work fine to compress it. or a pillar drill with no bit in (visit a local garage/engineer/big shed owner), or a bottle jack underneath a heavy vehicle (I have 2.5 tons of truck in the drive :cheesy: ).

The proper ring is about 5mm deep.

·
Registered
645 Posts
G i did my clutch again a couple of weeks ago and used a thick three core flex from an extension lead ive got. It was probably 8mm thick but this compressed slightly when i took pressure off the plate, it was fine more than enough compression to get everything back in. I jacked the car up and placed the plate under the car and shapped a wooden drift to fit the fingers on the plate then gently lowered the car onto it to compress, probably not the safest thing to do but i couldnt compress it any other way. :D

·
Banned
5,841 Posts
I used a 3 core solid copper cable as well, the Saab tool is just a glorified coat hanger anyway;)

You can use a work bench to compress the fingers on the clutch as well or just ask a well balanced fat dude to stand on the middle with his heel:lol:

·
Registered
645 Posts
You can use a work bench to compress the fingers on the clutch as well or just ask a well balanced fat dude to stand on the middle with his heel:lol:
Tried that , it didnt work. ;oops:

·
Registered
3,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i guees that somewhere along the line, ive not the leaves compressed enough, as there isnt enough room to slide the slave cyl in, between the primary case and the pressure plate :evil:

back to the drawing board ;)

G

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
drg23 said:
i guees that somewhere along the line, ive not the leaves compressed enough, as there isnt enough room to slide the slave cyl in, between the primary case and the pressure plate :evil:

back to the drawing board ;)

G
They go in together, at the same time;)

·
Registered
44 Posts
I did it next week . to compress your leaves take two piece of wood . make a hole in both . put first a long enough bolt then one of the two piece of wood ; then the piece of clutch with the diaphram then le roll tape ; then the second piece of wood . screw on the bolt this compress your clutch enough .
Sorry my english is very light . I shall try to do a photography to morrow

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
Patard- welcome. I look forward to your photos. I am going to build a new clutch tool soon and am looking at a few different designs.

·
Registered
858 Posts
Grif900,

I'll be watching as I'm almost ready to remove my engine/tranny. I also got the clutch exposed, and have welder and grinder ready to fab a clutch tool.

pierre

·
Registered
3,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
its in.... :cool:

i discovered that my method pf comp[ressing the leaves to get the "tool" in, was actually compressing itself, thus the leaves weren't compressing enough

found some new bits to use as per matthews method

some metal from a radiator mounted clothes drier, found in the basement, was much a better fit

then uncompressed it as per tom's method

just got to plumb it all back up - then she will fly once more :cool:

happy days
G

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
Patard- Now I understand what you meant. Your written description gave me another idea for a tool that can be used when the slave fails. I will post it soon.

·
Registered
260 Posts
top picture is a tool i made for the new style clutch master and then bottom one is a factor tool for the older style clutch master.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts