1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
2005 Saab 9-3 2.0T Arc Automatic
134,000miles
owned less than 1 year

Alternator just crapped out. I did a couple tests and I'm fairly confident its just the Alternator.

I ordered the same alternator that is currently installed. A reman Bosch AL0830x from RockAuto for $170. It says it "may not include pulley".

I looked at my current broken Bosch Alternator's pulley and it looks pretty "dumb". I can see almost all the way to the base of it. I don't see anything that suggest it may have a clutch in it. It looks original. It does not free wheel.

Are the "smart" pulleys for the manual transmissions only?

Or maybe for the 2003-2004's only?

thanks

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
My '08 2.0 automatic does not have a free-wheeling pulley (but our automatic Mazda minivan does). These pulleys are designed to allow the alternator RPMs to not fluctuate so widely especially on manuals when engine RPMs change during shifts. The idea is that the alternator will last longer.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply.

Yeah! Good news, one less expensive part to worry about. The replacement pulley was about $80 at eSaabparts.

I read your post at looked more closely at the photos on Rockauto. All the manual transmission alternators had the fancy clutch pulleys. I had never seen this before.

Can the dumb pulley be swapped with just an impact gun on the nut?

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Should be able to get pulley off by gently prying with screwdrivers on opposite sides. Use a thin open end wrench or another screwdriver under the prying tool so you don't break any cooling fins if you're returning the old alternator as a core. Otherwise, a three jaw puller will make it easy.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
New (reman) bosch alternator arrived. It looks like it has the fancy pulley that is attached by some fancy spline drive fasteners that need a special tool to swap. The dimensions look the same. Im thinking about just installing as is, what do you think?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts