SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few months ago, the radio/speakers in my 2003 Saab 9-3 started acting up. It would cut out/wouldn't turn on when the car was started but would sometimes come back on. Eventually, it stopped working all together (speakers, turn signals, and display are all out). I did some research of what was causing it and came to the conclusion that is was the amp, seems like a pretty common problem. While this was going on, I was having a few other minor issues so I took it into the dealership just to get a diagnosis. They told me that it was definitely the amp and that I could buy a new one through them ($700 - no thanks).

From there, I ordered a used one on eBay. The description said it was a working unit, etc. It came, took the old one out, put the new one in and nothing. No audio, no display. Went back to the forums, Youtube, etc. and tried doing an amp bypass with the old amp. I opened up the old one (noticed some bubbling and other wear on the board) and popped out the two fiber optic lines and connected them. Put the old amp back in and nothing.

From there, my dad and I figured the new used amp might have been bad despite the item description. We sent it back and got a refund and ordered another used one on eBay. It arrived yesterday and we put it in and nothing.

So, now we're assuming that it probably isn't the amp at all but something else. Does anyone have any ideas of what to try next?

Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
19,643 Posts
IS there a blinking red light at the amp fiber optic? Check the fiber optic at the onstar box. Last you can check it at the cd player. There is a break somewhere I'd bet.

·
Super Moderator
19,643 Posts
Also, you don't state what trim you have. There is an amp in the rear cubby if you have and Arc or Vector.

·
Super Moderator
19,643 Posts
I'm having a similar problem with my 2002 9-3 5 speed hatchback 2.0 turbo. No sound with the blinkers and no radio/CD.

The youtube vids I found talked about by-passing the amp but they were talking about 2003 and up models with the amp under the driver seat, nothing showed a '02 model or how to bypass that amp.

I have found what could possibly be the amp in the rear hatch area on the passenger side between the gas door and tail lights but I'm don't understand enough about amps/radios etc so I'm still lost on how to fix. Keep us posted if you figure something out.

Good luck.
Completely different car. Nothing in common.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
IS there a blinking red light at the amp fiber optic? Check the fiber optic at the onstar box. Last you can check it at the cd player. There is a break somewhere I'd bet.
I saw no blinking light at the connector where it goes into the amp. How do I check the onstar box and cd player? Also, it's a linear.

Thank you for your help.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Here's a diagram of the optical bus. You have components 1, 2, 3, 5, and 7.

http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3982674&postcount=8

Here's a link to how the bus actually runs from component to the next. It's serial, meaning if any one part fails, the loop fails. For example, my AMP1 blew so I pulled the fuse. This resulted in losing chimes and alerts because the optical bus was now broken. I went in and did the bypass procedure to regain chimes.

http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3974394&postcount=5

At each component you'll have an orange optical cable connecting to it. Start by checking at #7 which is your onstar box mounted on the top of your trunk compartment. Pull the plug, check for red light. Obviously car has to be turned on. Then move to the next item which is AMP1 under the seat and repeat. If you have light at both, then problem is in the components residing in your center dash. Or highly unlikely, a break in the actual optical cable.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts