SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I replaced the stock speakers a few weeks ago with some kicker front and rear. I only have a 4 speaker set, and I totally forgot the model number of speakers so I wont be able to check that. The question I have is how do I stop distortion at high sound levels in the rear speakers. Once I turn it up past a certain part it starts distorting and sounds really bad. All I want is some good bass coming from the rear speakers with out buying a sub-woofer just yet. I have stock stereo too, I'm wondering whether I should just buy a small amp and see if it will do what I want, or should I invest in a new stereo too, because that's going to be a pain. Front speakers only distort at super high volume so I am not worried about those. Just rear and easiest way to stop some distortion.

·
Registered
8,701 Posts
So I replaced the stock speakers a few weeks ago with some kicker front and rear. I only have a 4 speaker set, and I totally forgot the model number of speakers so I wont be able to check that. The question I have is how do I stop distortion at high sound levels in the rear speakers. Once I turn it up past a certain part it starts distorting and sounds really bad. All I want is some good bass coming from the rear speakers with out buying a sub-woofer just yet. I have stock stereo too, I'm wondering whether I should just buy a small amp and see if it will do what I want, or should I invest in a new stereo too, because that's going to be a pain. Front speakers only distort at super high volume so I am not worried about those. Just rear and easiest way to stop some distortion.
Small amp is what you need. Almost no head unit will deliver enough power to drive 6x9 speakers for good bass. I would almost venture to say, no head unit, period. I put in an ancient Craig Powerplay amp that's about 25W RMS per channel to drive the rear speakers, and older than probably 50% of the people here (dates from 1986).

As far as I know, head units have no voltage step-up capability, and are totally dependent on the battery voltage to generate output. Their signals to the speakers therefore max out at maybe 10 or 11 V peak, which is maybe 7 or a bit volts AC RMS. Power = V*V/R. 7*7/4 = 12W, more or less. Any higher number is wishful thinking.

Front speakers will sound better through an amplifier than from the head unit, but head unit is acceptable for them.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So should I save a bit of money and just get a 2 channel that is only for rear or get a 4 channel for all 4 even though the front sounds good?

·
Registered
620 Posts
look up the alpine ktp-445u.

i've just wired one essentially in series with the speaker outputs (hi level input). sits in the passengers side net and uses the factory power connections for the door speaker amp (mine has wiring but not the speakers).

really punchy, and things start to rattle before the bass distorts.

·
Registered
8,701 Posts
So should I save a bit of money and just get a 2 channel that is only for rear or get a 4 channel for all 4 even though the front sounds good?
In my opinion and experience, four channels of amplification is the way to go. I only went two channels because I had a two-channel amp on hand that fit. In my previous car, I used this particular two-channel amp for the front speakers, and a more powerful one (that won't fit easily under the Saab's dash) for the rear.

I'm tempted to revisit that arrangement, and see if I can't squirrel away the big amp somewhere and use it for the rears.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts