SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have searched the forums and and have decided that the Boston Acoustics are the best option for my 02 9-3SE. Initially, I will upgrade the dash and door speakers (I have the door speakers amp). But...do I get separate components like the Boston Pro60 or do I get two sets of two way speakers, the 3.5 in the dash and 6.5 in the doors? I am planning on adding a subwoofer and amp in the future and would use that to power the rear speakers and sub. I am thinking of a Blaupunkt head unit that is Bluetooth compatible since Washington state is mandating hands free cellular in July 2008. I am leaning towards the separates, but would like everyone's experience. If I got the separates, would I basically ignore the crossover or just run the dash tweeters through it?

Thanks for the help.

Paul :confused:

·
Registered
10,413 Posts
Unfortunately you can't run component speakers with the stock door speaker amp on these cars. You'll lose most of the midrange and it will sound pretty bad. I tried it once. You have to get 3.5" speakers for the dashboard, but you can put whatever 6.5" speakers you want in the doors. If you put 2- or 3-way speakers in the doors, the tweeters won't do anything, though, since the amp has a built-in crossover that only sends frequencies below 150Hz or so the speakers.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Speaker upgrades

Thanks Jeremy. So if I want components, it might be better to wait and replace the head unit, add the sub, amp and new door speakers all as one project instead of an incremental one. Or I guess I could just use the two way speakers in the doors and dash as part of the entire system if I went that way.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Does the factory door speaker amp already have a filter to pull out the highs? If not I don't see why you couldn't cut the door speaker wires and insert the crossover that comes with the new speakers. Abandon the old dash speaker wire and bring the tweeter wires down to the crossover. This is what I did on mine, but I didn't have factory door speakers or amp to contend with.

I found that I could decone and remove the magnet from the old 3.5s in the dash and the tweeter for my new speakers fit perfectly in the old voice coil recession in the 3.5 frame. I put a little hot glue in there to keep them in place and it worked great.

Steve B.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I dont think you should bother with the factory amp. Consider a higher power 4 channel amp for your front components and your rear 6 x 9. Then a second amp for your sub when you add that. Or even a 5 channel amp to run the whole thing. I've tried that hot glue thing for quirky installs before and it works like a charm.

Good luck,
Chris

·
Registered
112 Posts
bikerchris said:
I dont think you should bother with the factory amp. Consider a higher power 4 channel amp for your front components and your rear 6 x 9. Then a second amp for your sub when you add that. Or even a 5 channel amp to run the whole thing. I've tried that hot glue thing for quirky installs before and it works like a charm.

Good luck,
Chris
^ +1 I just installed an Alpine 4 channel amp with some upgraded speakers and it definitely kicks the stock system's **** all day long.

·
Registered
10,413 Posts
Imprl59 said:
Does the factory door speaker amp already have a filter to pull out the highs?
Yes, it does. It filters out everything above 150Hz or so. I've been pretty happy with the stock amp. For something that's so physically small, it puts out quite a bit of power, and not having to mess with running new wires and buying a new amp is definitely a plus. Some companies make very good 3.5" speakers, too, like Boston and Infinity.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I just replaced all of my speakers (it had stock ones in it) in my SE vert and am extremely happy with the stock headunit and amp. The sound is great! I put Polks in the doors and rear and pioneer 3x5's in the dash. Plenty of sound even with the top down!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts