SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 92-X Linear with the 4 speaker system. I'm upgrading the headunit, and speakers.

Do any of you know what size fits the front and rear doors? The front looks like it can handle a 6 1/2", and the rears 4"?

Thanks!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Mounting depth is the issue. The front has a maximum mounting depth of 1.48 inches, and only has .5 inches between the door and door panel. I am yet to find a speaker that will be shallow enough to work. Even if you used a 1/4 inch trim ring, you would only be up to 1.75 inches of depth, and the types of speakers that will be shallow enough for this type of application have the magnet in front of the speaker cone, which now causes a problem with frontal depth. Kickpanels look to be our best bet.

One of the best companies for shallow mount speakers is coming back into the Car Audio market. This is the best chance of getting a high quality speaker into the doors without doing major reconstruction of the doors.

www.illusionaudio.com

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
8 Posts
Suba-Saab said:
I started looking around and found this:

https://w109.webminders.com/iaperformance/catalog.asp?action=showCatalog&typeNumber=59&sectionNumber=71

It's meant for a WRX, but our door panels should be similar.

I'll have to figure the whole thing out once I remove the door panel and see what's what. I have a pair of 6.5" Infinity Reference speakers that I want to install.

Whatever I do, it always seems to be a P.I.T.A. ;)
Don't quote me on this, but the WRX has different mounting depths than the 9-2X. Not sure if Saab stuffed the doors with sound deadener. If you do pull the doors off, take pics of what is behind the speaker. Also, do the doors have airbags in them?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Did you install the kit yet? I've had my car for less than a week and I'm already sick of the stereo system.. there's an alpine deck and amp in my very near future. :)

As for the pathetic aftermarket choices talked about on the Innovative Automotive website.. apparently a company called Focal (french company) that makes slim speakers.. however, they're pricey to say the least..

Christopher

·
Registered
9 Posts
Keep the stock speaker, they work fine

I got fed up with stock 1 din cd player that came with 9-2x and replace it with Clarion ProAudio 655. I thought I have to replace the speaker too, but through my amazement the speaker actually sounded 10 times better after the new head unite was installed. Range was full, I can actually hear the bass without muffle or distortion.

·
Registered
30 Posts
brackac said:
Don't quote me on this, but the WRX has different mounting depths than the 9-2X. Not sure if Saab stuffed the doors with sound deadener. If you do pull the doors off, take pics of what is behind the speaker. Also, do the doors have airbags in them?
The side airbags in our cars are not in the doors, they're in the seats themselves.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts