1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi i looked but i couldn't really find anything about this

i need to know the speaker sizes for my 1998 saab 900s

i need to know the sizes for the following speakers:
-front speakers (the ones on top the dash)
-front door speakers (no stock speakers are installed, but theres a place to put them)
-rear speakers (the ones on top the back seats)

oh also, does anyone know of some good sites (aside from that richard bevans one) where i could find installation instructions for any of those preceeding speakers

it says that my front speakers are 8.5cm... but all speakers i can find at bestbuy or crutchfield are all in inches

also it gives multiple sizes for the front door speakers

and at bestbuy it says 4"x10" in the back, but on there i see 6"x9"

im so confused... can anyone straighten me out? thanks

·
Registered
9,408 Posts
Richard Bevan's site is right about the speaker sizes (3.5" front, 6.5" door), and his instructions are very good, except for the rear speakers. Don't bother prying off the grilles, just unscrew the entire plastic piece; it's much easier. I'm pretty sure it's the old 900 that used 4" x 10" speakers in the back. I can guarantee that yours uses 6" x 9" speakers, unless it's a convertible.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok that makes more sense to me

only problem i have now is, i can find very few speakers that are the 4" that would fit on the dash

would i almost have to get component speakers for the front?

·
Registered
9,408 Posts
You need 3.5" speakers for the dash, not 4", though some people have fit 4" speakers with a little trimming of the dashboard. Infinity, Boston Acoustics, and MB Quart all make very nice 3.5" speakers. I think Crutchfield even has a couple of different Infinities on sale right now.

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
Jeremy R. said:
Don't bother prying off the grilles, just unscrew the entire plastic piece; it's much easier.
How did you get around having to remove the two screws that are hidden under the grille for the rear speakers?
Another Saab audio site that I look at on occasion: http://www.lehigh.edu/~cak7/Saab.html
I concur with front: 3.5", doors: 6.5", rear 6"x9"

·
Registered
6,596 Posts
I put alpine sps-080 a 3.5's in the dash of mine and they work nicely. Available at crutchfield and etronics.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Slaab4life said:
How did you get around having to remove the two screws that are hidden under the grille for the rear speakers?
Adviced by someone on this forum, I removed a whole metal piece that holds speaker. After all, I needed to do so because I had to widen that hole for my 69's and it would be very iritating and longlasting to abrade it while it's mounted.

·
Registered
9,408 Posts
I used a Phillips screwdriver bit and a 1/4" wrench to get those last two screws out. I mounted the new speakers from underneath. It's much easier to get the back screws in from underneath, and you don't have to enlarge the hole that way.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts