SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The speaker in my drivers side door (down near my feat) is blown. Are these a simple replacement? I may just want to replace all my speakers. Do the speaker covers pop off or is it more involved than that?

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
The grills don't pop off, unfortunately. However, it's not too hard to get the door panel off; IIRC everything you need to get a 9-3's door panel is in the tool kit. I recommend googling 'platonoff' and 'saab' for a good set of instructions.

I can tell you from recent experience that the 6.5" woofer from the infinity kappa component set will fit pretty nicely. However, I believe that I am now bottoming out the stock amp because the impedance is only 2 ohm. This is annoying, but not as annoying as rattling speakers. I DO NOT RECOMMEND 2 OHM SPEAKERS WITH THE STOCK AMPLIFIER. My solution will be to purchase an aftermarket amplifier stable to 2 Ohms and install the crossover and tweeters from the component kit. It is a simple matter to fit the tweeters into the stock dash holes, just need to fabricate a small adapter plate.

If you find a pair of 6.5" 4ohm midbass woofers, you should be pretty happy. I recommend getting the ones with the most possible sensitivity. This is a spec that reads something like 92 dB on these infinity's.

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Thanks man. I'm glad it helped. Don't forget to post up what you choose and how it worked so others will benefit from your experience.

Good luck, and be gentle with those plastic clips!

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
Hijack: anybody know a <$150 piar of 6X9's for the rear. I've blown as badly as one could those suckers.
-Cm

·
Registered
375 Posts
Try the Alpine Type S. I bought for $99. My front 3.5" are Infinity, door speakers Alpine Type S and rear 6X9s Alpine Type S. Very good sound! I recommend to both of you guys. A 4 ohm amp I would have to recommend for the door speakers tho. :D

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Can one of you guys send me a link to woofers please? I have only been able to find 10''

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Do you have these? Or can someone attest to these? I dont wanna "Get what I pay for" here ya know.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
So what kind of speakers with what specs should i be lookinf for to use with the stock amp
I wouldn't use any of those in the doors with the stock amp. You're paying extra for hardware you won't be using (the tweeters) and the name on the box. Instead I would call partsexpress or madisound and see what they recommend for this application.

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
I was planning on calling the madisound place that I have heard suggested but ended up being lazy and buying the infinity kappa 6.5" components. They turned out to bottom out the stock amp.

I haven't chimed in because the solution to my problem will be different. I'm going to end up amplifying all the interior speakers and adding a sub. This allows me to add the tweeters from the kappa components where the dash speakers are.

Putting infinity kappa 6x9's in the stock rear locations and adding a 10" sealed sub. Should sound good once I get the levels right.

I knew that changing any speakers would be a slippery slope for me...

·
Registered
60 Posts
What do you mean that the factory amp doesn't run to all speakeres? If I change my head unit (stereo) And its got a built in 22 watt amp that will go to all 6 speakers right?

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
If you've got the door woofers, the factory amp only runs those. Otherwise, you have no factory amp. The head unit powers the dash and rears.

Strangely, the amp gets signal for all four speakers. Perhaps that is so some future model could amp all the speakers.

That is what my Vig will be doing if my female DIN connectors ever come in. I ordered three of them so will likely have extras for others it works for me.

Edit: DIN connectors are in and turned out to be Mini-DIN. Bummer.

·
Registered
50 Posts
You really owe it to yourself to audition Hertz speakers.
They are made in Italy and feature a paper cone.
They have a 6.5 in. 4 ohm woofer that will blow you away.
The amp should drive it, but is at the lower end of what the speaker will handle.

·
Registered
411 Posts
I have next to no knowledge of audio.
I've blown a door speaker on the driver's side as well, and am in need of a fix. I've been looking around for solutions for the OEM setup, but I'm finding that it can add up quickly...

While I further explore the bottomless world of car audio, I'd like to have something to fix the blown speaker. What are the negatives of simply slapping in a pair of 6.5" @ 4-ohms mids? Low volume? Will I hear nothing even if I crank the Bass knob? Will I only hear only a portion of the full potential of the drivers? Could someone please explain it in layman's terms?

Thanks!

PS. After I fix the blown driver issue, my plan is to go with Audiocontrol's LC7 Summing unit, EQ, and some amps, and better speakers to clean things up but sticking to the OEM setup. ...yes, this is where I am finding out that it adds up quickly.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts