SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently boughta Kenwood KAC-6401 360W 4-channel amplifier. On the input side, next to all of the RCA jacks, is the speaker-level input jack. Kenwood includes a small harness for the jack with multiple wires coming off it. Instead of using LOCs, could I just tap into the speaker wires and run them to this harness? I know that, generally, when dealing with the audio the fewer the connections, conversions, etc the better the sound. Does that hold try in this case? Seems like I'd have that much less to solder and possibly a better signal by not running through the LOCs. (BTW, this refers to tapping the 4" rears and 6.5" doors speakers to power new 6"x9"s)

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
strat81 said:
(BTW, this refers to tapping the 4" rears and 6.5" doors speakers to power new 6"x9"s)
Are you combining the signals somehow?

I think that peopel have used the line level speaker outputs as inputs to amps beofre, but I don't know how successful they have been. I think they encountered some problems.

In theory it should work. I have the same facility on my amp but blindly opted to go the LOC route. I'd be interested to see how you get on.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Aero_adam said:
Are you combining the signals somehow?

I think that peopel have used the line level speaker outputs as inputs to amps beofre, but I don't know how successful they have been. I think they encountered some problems.

In theory it should work. I have the same facility on my amp but blindly opted to go the LOC route. I'd be interested to see how you get on.
I should've been more specific with the tap comment... It's a 4 channel amp, so I'll be tapping the rear 4" signal to power the same rear 4"s. I'll tap the front door 6.5"s to power the rear 6"x9" speakers. I have the 150/7 system.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
I have used the built in speaker level inputs with my amp. I have to have the gain turned all the way down. The other issue I have is that for the low frequency (at least coming from the amp3) I have to have the low pass filter on or else I get a lot of noise. I don't know if these issues would be solved using a LOC or not, but I would venture to guess that the LOC would not solve the noise problem.

·
Registered
6,410 Posts
Everything depends on the design of the LOC. There are many variations of these. The speaker level inputs on an amp basically utilize an internal LOC.

The basic design types are resistive and transformer-based. The resistive networks are smaller, usually cheaper, and are probably what's inside the amp. Noise filtration seems to be more of a problem with these.

The transformer-based circuits allow complete DC-decoupling, meaning the only signal that makes it through is the alternating current which gets amplified to move the speaker. This eliminates problems caused by ground loops and other unwanted direct currents.

Unfortunately it can be very hard to tell a good LOC from a bad one. There are all kinds for sale on-line, but generally they don't give too many details. Try some searches or follow the recommendations of someone who has used a particular brand on the 93.

You also can't go wrong by first trying the high-level inputs on your amp. You can always search for a LOC later if there are problems.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It works fine for the 4" speakers! I used Radio Shack tap-ins for all of the connections. The LOC is one more thing to go wrong, cause noise, solder together, whatever... Of course, now I have two brand new Boss LOCs sitting on my kitchen table. Off to eBay with them, I guess!

I installed the amp today. I purchased the right-side trunk panel for a 300W system and mounted the amp on the inside of that so the amp is out of view when looking inside the trunk.

I spent the better part of the day:
-Putting weatherstripping on the contact edges of the 6"x9" speakers so they don't rattle.
-Running speaker cables to each of the four speakers on the rear deck
-Running signal cables tapped into the L/R 4" deck speakers
-Soldering disconnects and spade terminals to the speaker cables

I still need signal for the 6"x9" speakers from AMP1... that will be tomorrow's project.

As for the sound of the amped 4" rears... it's nice. At quiet volumes there's no difference at all in sound quality but if I want to turn it up, they stay clean. The speakers are Infinity Reference 4012i. Mid and high frequencies sound fantastic now. The articulation and clarity is amazing. I was using the No Doubt Greatest Hits CD to demo the system and tweak the amp. It's a very well-produced, well-engineered CD and you can hear every nuance in Gwen's voice. I'll probably break out Black by Metallica (Sad But True, in particular) to test the full system. It's a disc that really runs the full spectrum of instruments and frequencies.

I'm really looking forward to powering those 6"x9" speakers.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts