SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know many of you swear by NGK plugs, but has anyone tried the Bosch Platinum injector plugs? Getting close to plug change time, and I was wondering.

·
Registered
3,938 Posts
SAAB uses NGK to design their engine. Don't bother trying any other brand. If you want platinum use NGK platinum plugs. The PHRF610 or 7 works great in late model 9000 turbos.If you try another brand always use R resistor plugs or the DI cassette will be destroyed.

NGK works, the other brands do not.

·
Banned
637 Posts
Bosch spends a lot of $$ on advertising their Platimum plugs.. local distributor refuses to carry them currently.. he had most 'Returned' by Customers.. found it wasn't good for business.
Ngk's onna other hand have NO reliability problems beyond the statistical ones.
Besides as stated above, the DI cassete REQUIRES specific NGK plugs.. other types/brands spell certain death for the Cassette..
have you Priced one recently ? Wanna risk it, based on a Magazine advert?

·
Registered
29 Posts
The DI cassette does several jobs, 1) fires the spark plugs, 2) acts as the knock sensor using the spark plugs by analyzing the ionization current in each cylinder, feeding 80 volts to the plugs at all times acting as an ionization sensor and allowing up to 12 degrees or ignition retard 3) at shut down fires all the plugs for 6 seconds to burn off any carbon build up and 4) the ionization current is used to determine which cylinder in the pair with piston at top dead center has fired thereby setting up the firing order as there is no camshaft sensor to map timing with the crankshaft position sensor. Therefore any slight change in the resistance and performance of the spark plug by use of other than the specified NGK will set up errors in the engine control functions. Use the spec NGK.

·
Registered
5,774 Posts
I tried the Platinum 2s for a day and my car didn't like them. NGK is the only way to go if you have a DI.

·
Registered
485 Posts
The use of NGK plugs only may be just the fear of having to replace an expensive DI cassette, this fear led me to try; I found a used DI cassette, cleaned it up and checked the fluid in all the coils, installed a set of Bosch Super (copper electrode) FR 7 DCX, these are resistor type, applied some dielectric grease to the boots and installed the cassette. Have been running for more that two years now, no problems; the experiment went on and on until I just forgot about it, I'll leave it alone until or if it fails but so far so good. Lack of maintenance of the DI is what kills them, installing them dry alows arcing and corrosion to form inside the boots, always use dielectric grease, aditionally; when removing it to replace plugs, do not place it upside down, if you do, wait a few minutes after reinstalling it to allow the oil in the coils to settle back down otherwise they overheat and burn.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Diff. NGK BCPR 7ES???

Are the BCPR7ES-11 the ones you guys recommend for a '95 9000 Aero stock # 1095 "OR" the stright BCPR 7ES's that are listed in the owners manual under "four cyl. 9000 Turbo, LPT" that are listed under stock # 3330???:eek:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts