SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 9000 s non turbo auto. With a DI cassete. Can i use the Platinum Plugs that do not need to be gapped?

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
This is what you need, after years and years of experience and testing from all the saab gurus out there the NGK spark plugs work best in our cars, when i made the switch from bosch to ngk i was amazed at the difference

Since your car is a 2.3L DI 9000 your gona need these NGK plugs BCPR6ES (if your car was turbocharged you would need the 7es instead of the 6es) and make sure you gap them properly it should be at about 1.0mm give or take.

Hope that helps

Imran

(information taken/learned from thesaabsite FAQ page, Thank you Saabsite)

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
NGK are good from what i hear. The car has issues. Now it has autolites....

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
You MUST have a resistor type plug not to mess up your DI. After installing NGK iridiums I found that the car runs a bit better. But they are pretty expensive. Also, don't know if the effect on non turbo will be significant. I would just stick to the stock ones. They are REALLY cheap from eeuroparts.com. Probably cheaper then autolite ones...

Klim

·
Registered
3,938 Posts
They'll probably work better if you close the gap to around 0.9 mm. The 11 at the end of the part number means they are pre-gapped at 1.1 mm which is the maximum spec. My mechanic uses the 89 pregapped plugs.

Use ONLY NGK resistor type plugs in your SAAB. No other brand is worth trying.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Yhea, ill always use the NGK now, its well worth the 30 dollars, before i used to use bosch dual spark plugs and the difference between the bosh and the proper NGK was amazing

Imran

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
Yep, those are right. I don't think you can get 4 plugs for less than that:lol:
Hmm, the ones I got were pregaped to 1mm. Haynes says to use 1.1mm gap. However, it seems that everyone agrees that 1mm is better on TURBOCHARGED engines. In theory you want the biggest plug gap wtihout a misfire at WOT. I have never drive NA saab, but I think that 1.1mm should work on it. Hell, 1.1mm worked on my turbo!

Imran, by 30$ you mean the Iridiums? Because they were 7$ a piece. Stock ones, again from eeuroparts are like 7$ for a set of 4...

Klim

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I paid 2 dollars a plug. 8 dollars and tax for all of them. Where are they $30?

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
NGK iridiums are 7$ a plug. They have iridium core, not copper like stock ones. Should give better, easier spark and last up to 30000miles...

Klim

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i got the basics.

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
I bought a 9000 griffin, that has the head/sump and timing chains off. It has BOSCH Platinium, FR7DPX plugs. From what is said above I assume the advice is replace them with NGK BCPR7ES plugs. I assume the posters above are saying NGK is better even though the Bosch ones are Platinium.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts