SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I'm installing new plugs (NGK 5542/PFR6T-10G) in my 06 9-3SS 2.0T after doing a compression test. The compression test page in the WIS says to fit the plugs at 20 Nm (15 lbf ft) and the coils at 8Nm (6 lbf ft). But the WIS page for spark plug replacement says fit the plugs at 28 Nm (21 lbf ft), the coils at 20 Nm (15 lbf ft) and the ignition coil cover at 8 Nm (6 lbf ft). The B207R engine isn't listed in the WIS technical data page (B207E/B207L tightening torque is given at 28 Nm/21 lbf ft).

I know I'm overthinking this a bit but it seems like this is just a simple WIS typo? So the correct torque for a B207R is the same as B207E & B207L w/ the 5542 plugs and is 28 Nm (21 lbf ft)? The manufacturer page for those plugs gives a torque range of 18-21.6 lb. ft. for an aluminum head.

Thanks

·
Registered
8,226 Posts
The 28N-m are given in several sections, including the general info, and the torque for the V6 engine.

·
Registered
6,159 Posts
I use 15 ft lbs. BUT if the spark plug has a gasket, then I torque, loosen 3/4 turn and re torque. On some LSJ engines with corrosion in the well ( similar to LK9 and B235R style engines), I use a very little Permatex silver anti seize on the threads. I normally install dry, but corrosion in the plug well can be an issue. As any lubricant on the threads affects torque specs, I keep to 15 ft lbs, and would not use 21 ft lbs. That said as I use a digital torque wrench with a read out, I pay attention to the end torque ( the torque wrench uses a series of lights green to red as well, a beeping mode to solid beep) and frequently the read out torque at 15 ft lbs registers as 21 ft lbs peak.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I use 15 ft lbs. BUT if the spark plug has a gasket, then I torque, loosen 3/4 turn and re torque. On some LSJ engines with corrosion in the well ( similar to LK9 and B235R style engines), I use a very little Permatex silver anti seize on the threads. I normally install dry, but corrosion in the plug well can be an issue. As any lubricant on the threads affects torque specs, I keep to 15 ft lbs, and would not use 21 ft lbs. That said as I use a digital torque wrench with a read out, I pay attention to the end torque ( the torque wrench uses a series of lights green to red as well, a beeping mode to solid beep) and frequently the read out torque at 15 ft lbs registers as 21 ft lbs peak.
Thanks for clarifying and for the details. I didn't end up adding any permatex (didn't have it and it's my daily driver) and ended up doing 19 ft lbs nice and slowly (non digital, click torque wrench). Figured that should cover me either way.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts