SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Well my friend.. yes they are and seeing that you have a v6 i am guessing that you have a 6 cylinder engine you are going to have to buy 6 of them.

G

·
SaabBlackMan said:
seeing that you have a v6 i am guessing that you have a 6 cylinder engine you are going to have to buy 6 of them.
That's a good estimate.. Some say NGK is the only way to go, others like myself think aftermarket plugs like Bosch or Autolite will be just as good.

·
Registered
203 Posts
My personal opinion:-

You are driving a high performance car, with a turbo, using one of, or even THE most sophisticated engine management systems on the market.
If the manufacturer (Saab) advised a specific make and grade of spark plug (I would use it).
When Saab tuned the car these SPECIAL NGK resistor type plugs were used,
stick with them, and you can be reasonably sure, that if you do have problems it wont be due to using the wrong plugs.

I have recently had a problem with intermittant miss firing, by replacing the plugs with NGK's I was certain they were not the problem.
If that seeme like "rant".... it probably is.
But no malice is intended.

Oh; I forgot to mention: - I drive a 3.0 V6

Pete

·
Registered
5,641 Posts
Wulf said:
That's a good estimate.. Some say NGK is the only way to go, others like myself think aftermarket plugs like Bosch or Autolite will be just as good.
:nono; Let the record show that you're the only one who thinks this. The ECU and DI are tuned for the exact spark plug they was given in OEM form. Even putting a copper NGK in an Aero that was speced platinum ones is frowned upon. This wisdom was imparted to us by a SAAB powertrain engineer who posts here.

G

·
But.. but.. Autolite is recommended by NASCAR..!

I can't say for sure the Autolite spark plugs are the same as the NGK. But then again, it also hasn't been proven they are inferior. And perhaps they are even better. But I agree, when in doubt, it's best to use the ones recommended by the manufacturer.

On a side note, I also checked the Haynes manual and they only recommend Bosch plugs without any mention of NGK.

·
Registered
5,641 Posts
Wulf said:
But.. but.. Autolite is recommended by NASCAR..!

I can't say for sure the Autolite spark plugs are the same as the NGK. But then again, it also hasn't been proven they are inferior. And perhaps they are even better. But I agree, when in doubt, it's best to use the ones recommended by the manufacturer.

On a side note, I also checked the Haynes manual and they only recommend Bosch plugs without any mention of NGK.
I have the same manual and it's just wrong, they probably have some kind of deal with Bosch or thought all european cars used them. You have to use the correct NGK plug or the ion sensing (ie knock detection) won't function correctly. Better or worse has nothing to do with it, it just has to be the OEM spec NGK plugs. Direct Ignition is the most advanced ignition system in the world, don't mess with it, trust me, it'll mess you up. ;)

G

·
Raven18940 said:
NGK plug or the ion sensing (ie knock detection) won't function correctly. Better or worse has nothing to do with it, it just has to be the OEM spec NGK plugs. Direct Ignition is the most advanced ignition system in the world, don't mess with it, trust me, it'll mess you up. ;)
I bought the NGK plugs earlier today just to be sure. If this fixes my engine surging problem I posted about in another thread, I can't return to the forums for quite a while. :cheesy:

·
Registered
5,641 Posts
Wulf said:
The BCPR6ES-11 were only $2.74 at a local store. I thought they would be more expensive.
Enjoy it, the aero plugs are $10 a piece. :eek:

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
And what about the iridium spark plugs? Are they good for my 2003 V6 3.0l engine? The price on NGK is 7.83 dollars

http://www.ngk.com/results_app.asp?AAIA=1418026
No! Absolutely not. Use ONLY the copper plugs specified in your owners manual. Everyone thinks they need to go out and spend $$$ on fancy spark plugs with fancy sounding precious metals in them but in reality the $2 jobbers work best.

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
Those are them. The one and only kind you should be using in your V6. The first time I bought plugs for my V6 I went to the dealer. They were about $2.50 each. I commented on how cheap they were (especially at the dealer) and the parts counter guy told me something like, "yep, everyone gets scared away by how cheap the NGK plugs are and go buy $8/per plugs that they think are better, and then they come in complaining that their car is misfiring and running like garbage... and it's always the plugs!"

1 - 19 of 19 Posts