SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How many miles/kilometers are we typically getting out of our plugs?

My old 86 used to eat plugs regularly every 15,000 km/9,000 miles. Those were copper NGK BCPR 7 ES. The plugs were just completely shot when I changed them out, pretty much exactly at 15,000 km (every second oil change when I used conventional oil and every oil change when I used synthetic oil assuming the mileage warranted it). Exactly the same for my Aero although it seemed a little kinder to the copper plugs.

However, I switched to platinum/iridium NGK PFR6H for my Aero on my mechanic's recommendation (they are factory fit to the 2.3 liter 9 5 engine) and I now get about 25,000 km/15,000 miles from those. This is pretty short mileage for these plugs at CDN$20 per plug!

Platinum plugs are supposed to be good for at least 50,000 km/ 30,000 miles normally. In my Jaguars the change interval for the iridium plugs is 160,000 km/100,000 miles (yes, really).

On my Aero I get fluffing under load and idle stumble after about 25,000 km and eventually I just put new plugs in which solves those symptoms and also gives me slightly better peak boost. The old plugs look perfect when they come out but they obviously are not. The old plugs run fine they just aren't as good as they should be. I am sure I could run them out to 50,000 km. fuel economy is not affected.

Anyone else wish to contribute info on this issue?

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Approx 20000 ks or every 4th oil change . Just plain old ngks .They swap out looking almost as good as new and I wonder why Im changing them !

·
Registered
13,273 Posts
Plain old Copper-Core NGKs, on both N/A (BCPR5ES) and Turbo (BCPR6ES), every 30k miles whether they need it or not.

·
Registered
3,938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Our Canadian spec cars required 7 heat range for turbos with 6 permitted if required for a specific customer's engine. Odd that we would run colder plugs. I did run a set of 5 by mistake once for a while with no I'll effects. Partsman at the dealer handed the wrong boxes to the mechanic.

30,000 miles is impressive for any plug.

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Plain old Copper-Core NGKs, on both N/A (BCPR5ES) and Turbo (BCPR6ES), every 30k miles whether they need it or not.
One a modified turbo run hard I've tried to go spec distance, but as SuperAero states car just stops running right. I change them every 10k miles, sometimes more often, and making only this change really improves how my Aero runs.

When new and in it's first 8 years of like the Saab dealers did the same to it nearly every time I had it in. difference is it is real cheap when I change them...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts