SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a '99 9-3, 1.8T, T5, 5-speed. A great car I bought in Portland, OR a couple of years ago with ~105K on it.

As I reached ~128K I figured it was time to change the plugs, plus I was getting pretty poor winter mileage (like 16 mpg- the longer summer trips I'd take I'd get close to 30). I did some research, here and online, and it appeared that NGK PFR6H-10 was the way to go. Most of my driving is in town (2x a year trips of 500 miles, but mostly short in town trips). Since I live in MT, it sounded like these plugs were, one, good for short trip driving, and two, did better in colder temps.

When I took out the old plugs however, they were NKG BCPR7EIX-11. I had already purchased the PFR6H-10s so I went ahead and put those in. It seems to run fine...

That OK? Comments, thoughts?

Thanks!

·
Registered
4,795 Posts
There are no 1.8l Saabs in North America, so you probably have a 2.0l. You should only run the correct-spec BCPR7ES for proper operation. PFR6H-10 is the plug for T7 cars.

·
Registered
843 Posts
+1.

The DIC and plugs are designed to work together. Although you've wisely gone to the trouble of researching "correct" plugs it looks like you have the T7 plugs. The T5 DIC and system are not quite compatible, and the "wrong" plugs won't allow the DIC to do its thing efficiently.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OK, many thanks! I can see now by my "research" that I was, yep,looking at T7s and not T5s. Know of anyone that needs some almost new PFR6H's ? ha! They were expensive too - like ~$12 apiece compared to the~ $3 apiece for the BCPR7ES that I just ordered.

Am wondering, though, why the car had the NGK BCPREIX-11s in it? My 9-3 is a reg. 2.0, 185 hp (you all were right once more) and isn't this plug for high performance vehicles? Or? Here's my VIN # YS3DD55NXX2062911

Thanks again!

·
Registered
183 Posts
Post a picture of the car. I used to work at Atomic Auto...if it lived in Portland, chances are it passed through the shop.

·
Registered
4,795 Posts
Spark plugs are generally specified by their physical characteristics - thread, length, heat range - and lots of plugs meet the characteristic requirements for various Saab engines. Saab uses a very advanced timing and knock control system that even still is considered difficult and expensive for most. That system relies on electrical characteristics of the plugs, and changing those characteristics will impair the system. Most people don't realize this, and buy "stuff that fits." You really don't want to do that.

·
Registered
17,429 Posts
Post those Platinum plugs in the classifieds for a reasonable price as "barely used". Someone will snap them up. The good news is that you can get the correct ones for $2.50 each at a local parts store. The bad news is that they are only good for about 10-12K miles typically. Gap to .9mm instead of the 1.0 to 1.1 spec.

Some folks do put those Iridium plugs in there, BCPR7EIX. We don't like 'em. Nope, we really don't. FWIW, they might be OK in some motors, but we've also seen cars recover from illness with the correct plugs installed.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Cool, thanks BobSaabit- yep, did both (listed the "almost new" plugs and ordered the correct ones)- The good news is that it's an easy job to change them out. Appreciate the input and info.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts