SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I undertstand from threads that Hirsch 4 piston upgrade is actually a Brembo system tuned for Saab. Any idea at what km/miles the pads and rotors would need change for average aggresiveness (no track, occasional street performance) and:

- Part number of Brembo rotor
- What are the alternatives for brake pads and if you know the part numbers

I actually have Euro ceramic pads with goodrige and quite happy but a saab owner around wants to sell his kit and I want to consider this including what the cost will be for spares. The system is driven about 40K miles.

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
Turkish Aerolines said:
I undertstand from threads that Hirsch 4 piston upgrade is actually a Brembo system tuned for Saab.
The Hirsch 4-pot big brake kit is made by Brembo for Hirsch.

Turkish Aerolines said:
Any idea at what km/miles the pads and rotors would need change for average aggresiveness (no track, occasional street performance)
I've done 20k km on my original Hirsch pads, and there's life left in them yet.

I would guess 30-35k km change period, from what I know of another Hirsch owner that had the same brakes and only replaced pads once in the 50k km he drove the car.

Turkish Aerolines said:
- Part number of Brembo rotor
There isn't a Brembo part number, only a Hirsch part number, and it's no longer available.:roll:

Turkish Aerolines said:
- What are the alternatives for brake pads and if you know the part numbers
You will need to take the Hirsch pads and take them to a performance brake stockist, or Brembo dealer) and try and visually match them up with something the same.

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
Turkish Aerolines said:
Aeropilot, you mentioned another owner of this set who changed pads. So he would already know what to replace that with, right?
His pads were replaced during normal service by his Saab dealer with the correct Hirsch pads, as Hirsch still supply the pads.

Turkish Aerolines said:
And how long do you think the rotors will last? What do you plan to do after? Is it just a diameter thing or diameter and width to consider other alternative brands?
I have no idea how long the rotors will last....:confused:

I was hoping that Hirsch would still provide still provide replacement service parts even though they have stopped selling the complete kit, but other than the pads this appears not to be the case, which is very disappointing.

Don't have a clue as to what I will do for replacement rotors......probably only have the car for another 2-3 years max so hopefully it will be the next owners problem.....:roll:

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
aeropilot said:
Don't have a clue as to what I will do for replacement rotors......probably only have the car for another 2-3 years max so hopefully it will be the next owners problem.....:roll:
So the rotor should be still OK at 60000 km and hopefuly for another 40000 km?

Are these 330mm? Maybe AP rotors sold by Abbott would be OK then (I recently learned that AP is actually Brembo, right?).

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
Turkish Aerolines said:
Are these 330mm?
They are 332mm IIRC.

Turkish Aerolines said:
(I recently learned that AP is actually Brembo, right?).
First I've heard of that......:eek:

I'd say try a Brembo agent first for replacement disc's rather than AP.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
aeropilot said:
They are 332mm IIRC.
What does IIRC mean?

aeropilot said:
First I've heard of that......:eek:
I heard that during my visit to France for an aftermarket tradeshow. Here is what I found after googling.
http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m3012/is_5_181/ai_76814698
" * 2000 Acquired Britain's AP Racing and a majority share of Marchesini (magnesium motorcycle wheel maker). Established joint ventures with ZF to manufacture corner modules in South Africa and with Yuejin Motor Group in China to produce car and light-truck brakes. Began pilot production of carbon composite brake rotors at facility in Ottobrunn, Germany. Commenced development of brake-by-wire systems with SKF."

aeropilot said:
I'd say try a Brembo agent first for replacement disc's rather than AP.
I'm trying to decide what should I offer to the owner for this kit at 60k km. Obviously I will need new pads but the disc should be OK for another while from what I understand fom your information.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts