SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm considering buying a mint '04 Saab 9-5 Arc Wagon with 65k miles. I called my mechanic, and he told me he doesn't work on Saabs anymore because it's hard to find parts for them. Then I called a Saab repair shop in the area, and they said this is true for some of the older Saab models and the 9-3s, but not for the 9-5s.

This is a back-up car and we will likely put <2k miles on it per year. I'd like to have it for at least 10 years. Will I be able to get parts for it throughout that period?

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Hi

I am not sure anyone is going to be able to assure you that new parts in any sort of plentiful supply will be available over the next decade. Undoubtedly aftermarket parts will continue to be available but that of course will not cover much beyond commonly required items.
I should imagine though that quite a healthy supply of good used parts will be around for quite some time.

Others may of course think otherwise but that is my 2cents.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your reply. I know no one has a crystal ball, but I was just hoping to get some idea - which I now have.

Curious: knowing what you know now about Saab's future (or lack thereof), would you buy a used Saab?

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Switters

Of course I would :)
I have only recently bought an 2002 Aero Est. However, I buy cars (and have done for the last 30+yrs) that are around 10yrs old and drive them for anything between 2mths and 4yrs before moving them on or scrapping them.

The good ones are kept for a while (average 1-2yrs), then I get bored, see something I fancy more and on it goes.

In the last 15yrs I would guess i have bought a dozen or more Saabs. My wife has driven Saabs only for that 15yrs, until 3yrs ago I only drove Jaguar cars and my Jaguar ownership followed much the same pattern for well over 25yrs.

Now we both drive Saabs

I will never buy a new car of any marque.

Perhaps I should add though that I do 99.9999% of all repair work on any car I have ever owned.
Those who don't or can't may well approach car ownership differently. I have a brother who has feet for hands for example who has everything conceivable done at a garage . Adding fuel is the extent of his mechanical expertise :)

·
Registered
8,299 Posts
Scan tech ( aftermarket saab supplier just declared bakrupcy, some OEM parts are absolute garbage... I am worried as well, when a not too common part goes ( my airbag cable) you are sh!t out of luck... especially with used uncommon parts ( changeover years VIN changes etc)

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Scan tech ( aftermarket saab supplier just declared bakrupcy, some OEM parts are absolute garbage... I am worried as well, when a not too common part goes ( my airbag cable) you are sh!t out of luck... especially with used uncommon parts ( changeover years VIN changes etc)
That's a little concerning. Sounds like a roll of the dice. If something goes wrong that requires a basic part, shouldn't be a problem. But if something more unusual happens (i.e. the airbag cable), too bad?

Makes me nervous to buy a car that I plan to have for 10 years or more. Can't imagine the situation will get any better. Probably worse.

·
Registered
867 Posts
Nearly all parts can be found, airbag parts etc. they will be at junk yards and aftermarket new. Also most parts can be rebuilt (including circuit boards).
From my experience even if there were only 2 Saabs in the Country you can still get them repaired. I lived in southern Mexico and learned a lot about car parts.
like; Jetta Brake calipers can be mounted without retrofit on OG900s. Nissan master cylinder etc.
Next a lot of the parts are Bosch, or other OEM manufacturers and also parts are compatible with GM, Opel, etc.
all OG 900s are at least 19 years old and parts are still available.
The situation may look bad, (although it is not) but that is because everything is in flux, once settled there will be remaining companies supplying parts.
Yes some companies that are now open will fall to the side but others will get bigger and new ones open up.
IMO

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Srmoose

How very true. There is an amazing amount of GM stuff on the 9-5 models.

Very few cars end up being unrepairable as years go by. You may need to be a little imaginative but it can be done.
There are plenty of folks here in the UK ground up rebuilding MGs, Jaguars etc that are over 50 yrs old.

Much comes down to whether you want or are able to repair rather than simply rely on buying a component in a box and getting it fitted

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, full disclosure: I have never and do not intend to ever repair my car. Should I avoid buying a Saab? I'm that guy who simply wants my mechanic to be able to fix my car and have the parts he needs to do it.

·
Registered
8,299 Posts
Well, full disclosure: I have never and do not intend to ever repair my car. Should I avoid buying a Saab? I'm that guy who simply wants my mechanic to be able to fix my car and have the parts he needs to do it.
Yes I would ( and am) I have had Saabs for 25 years love em, but for the 9-5 for instance ( and 9-3 also) they will never have the following of a jaguar MG VW or Triumph ( my other passion) to get parts forever. No new company will enter the OEM market for such limited production meh cars. How many Puegeot cars do you see on the road in teh US ( and they can still get parts in Europe) Its just a decent family sedan witihout much love. THere is decent coverage for classic 900 cars but mmy 87 is not long for the road I imagine

ANd regarding parts, some are Saab only and critical to keeping the car running ( DI cassttes ) that we know no GOOD knock off exists. My airbag cable was needed since I had to get a newly designed clock spring used only as a repair to 03-05 cars. If not many were repaired sp where do you get them from, not a used one I can gurantee you that

I happily go to shows to pick up parts for my TR6 and went for my XKE, but those cars sat 90% of thier time. Unless it was a collector situation I would not buy a Saab unless someone steps up to keep the parts flowing.

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Jssaab

Valid points of course. I suspect the situation regarding used parts may well be less of an issue here in the UK.
I certainly agree with your comment regarding VW/MG/Jaguar etc against Peugeot and perhaps Saab too. I suspect the strong GM connection will still help in truth although your referral to the DI pack is all too accurate .

As I wrote earlier, so much depends on how you approach car ownership.
Personally I simply cannot envisage owning a car for 10 yrs that gets used regularly. I am not sure I will be here in 10yrs let alone a car that I run :)
(Much to my mothers dismay as I am only early 50s!)
Ultimately it is a means of transport, if it dies it dies, I move on and replace it.
For many years I was an avid Jaguar owner, I always yearned for an older model (I never owned anything less than 10yrs old, usually 20-30yrs)
For some years the supply of classic used parts for all things XJ S1/2/3 was my business and livliehood. One I shared with my son, he now owns/runs a very successful Jaguar restoration company here in Sussex, UK.
What he achieves from a flat sheet of metal leaves me dumbstruck at times as a number of bodypanels are not available and need to be made inhouse , from scratch.
He has had a few owners from the USA (and much of Europe) have their car shipped to the UK for him to do the restoration work on.

I cannot see any 9000 or 9-5 Saab models ever reaching that rate of desirability and owner investment.

Now however, I cannot afford to run such cars and the Saab offers such cracking value for money it is the car of my choice. It drives, I drive it, It fails , I repair it. If I cannot (or see something better), I replace it.

I suspect that an owner today buying almost any (not just Saab) car that is currently 10yrs old and looking to get another 10yrs out of it using paid maintenance only may be ambitious. I would not expect many to work out as having been value for money over that 10yr period.

Again, just my own thoughts.

·
Registered
867 Posts
I think you answered this with;
"I called my mechanic, and he told me he doesn't work on Saabs anymore"
I would also agree with Twosaab, using only a paid mechanic on a 10 Y/O car for 10 years might be a bit pricey no matter what make of car.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Buy a Saab, and in the eyes of your mechanic, when you walk in the door, he sees a new boat.

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
Scan tech, aftermarket saab supplier, just declared bakruptcy............
Not quite, they sold out to a larger after market parts supplier.

"The Scantech brand has been sold to a new Swedish owner, committed to providing high quality Volvo and Saab parts and developing a new business with the brand.
The new company which will operate under the name “Scantech of Sweden” is owned by Mino Autoparts of Sweden."
from Scantech website

Considering the poor quality of some Scantech parts in the past we may be better served by the new owners.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts