SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I was trying to make a spare key for my '99 9-3 vert. I entered programming, I did the first known key, pressed unlock 8 times, fasten seatbelt flashed, took key out, put in the spare I wanted to program, and it simply would no go to 'Ignition On', as if it's the wrong key

The key is an old spare key from a '02 9-3 vert. Are these not compatible? I was under the impression the only thing that mattered was that it was an og 9-3.

Does the spare key need to have a new battery in it? It might be dead

Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
7,814 Posts
The physical key has to match the cylinder. A key from another car won't unlock the doors or turn the ignition on. You would have to get a new key cut to work in your car. (Same as any car with keys.)

Does your existing key have the remote buttons in the head? Does the key from the newer car? You can always reuse the module that contains the buttons, since it's also the transponder. However if your existing key has no buttons, and uses a separate remote fob, it gets complicated. You'd have to get a blank key (with provision for the button module in the head) cut to your car. Then you could insert a module and program it to your car.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
The physical key has to match the cylinder. A key from another car won't unlock the doors or turn the ignition on. You would have to get a new key cut to work in your car. (Same as any car with keys.)

Does your existing key have the remote buttons in the head? Does the key from the newer car? You can always reuse the module that contains the buttons, since it's also the transponder. However if your existing key has no buttons, and uses a separate remote fob, it gets complicated. You'd have to get a blank key (with provision for the button module in the head) cut to your car. Then you could insert a module and program it to your car.
I guess that makes sense. I searched some threads and it literally seemed like all you needed was a key from any og 9-3, and then program it to work with your car, provided you had an existing working key and a tech 2. It does sound a little too easy

They both have buttons

So I have to get someone to cut a key for me specific to my VIN, and then take the transponder/buttons/etc out of the useless key and put them in the freshly cut key? I.E, this:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts