SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
These always seem to be broken, including on my car. Eeuro wants $30 US and does not ship to Canada anyway. Local Saab dealer would have to order it, and it's over $50 CAD. For those prices, I guess I will visit a couple of junkyard and hope for the best.

·
Super Moderator
9,061 Posts
The reason they get broken is because ppl try to pull the connector off the bulb which you can't do with these..Connector clips into the retainer,

·
Registered
9,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, yes, and then when one tab is broken, it can wedge in incorrectly and then the next tab is broken. I discovered that my retainer is broken when I tried for half an hour to change the bulb in a mall parking lot in the dark and wind and snow. All that happened was that I killed the wiring to the plug, which was already missing its insulation. (Previous owners didn't manage to get the bulb in properly, in the first place.)

Attaching a good plug and wires is easy enough. I got one from a junkyard car....but again, one of the three locking tabs on the retainer is broken. Maybe better than what I have, but still not good.

·
Registered
322 Posts

And you can read the details about making this here:

This would also address the problem of the spread ears on the headlight housing that don't catch the tabs, even if they're unbroken.

·
Registered
9,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks! I'm still probably going to do a bit of junkyard trawling.

It's not clear to me whether that design was used only in '03-'04 (which was told to me by a Saab shop owner) or more years (according to EPC). Maybe I'll get a better part. I do have a clip that has two of its three ears intact. There's probably a way to make a small clip to hold it firmly in place.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts