SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I've checked my regular sources and can't seem to find a place that stocks the turbo oil supply line. A warranty clause for a new turbo states that the oil supply line must be replaced (as old/clogged oil supply lines can choke turbos making them fail).

Where can I get one new at a decent price? Also, does anybody stock the oil return pipe (the one that o-rings to the block)?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
that sounds about right IIRC. i had to purchase one from the dealer 2 or 3 years ago and i payed something like that.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
if no one answers by morning, ill pull out the thread gauges and measure them when i get up. i have a few boxed up in one of the extra storage sheds and need to find them. if you have one handy, and can grab some calipers, measure the pitch diameter and outside diameter of the threads, as well as threads per cm, and i can refer to my machinists handbook

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
IronJoe said:
Hey all,

I've checked my regular sources and can't seem to find a place that stocks the turbo oil supply line. A warranty clause for a new turbo states that the oil supply line must be replaced (as old/clogged oil supply lines can choke turbos making them fail).

Where can I get one new at a decent price? Also, does anybody stock the oil return pipe (the one that o-rings to the block)?

Thanks in advance.
\

I'd just clean the return one. The thing is pretty good size and along as it is not clugged you should be good to go. Replace the O ring while you are there. Rob at Scanwest says that is the one that cokes/clogs up and the upper one is feeling the cooler oil so is less likely to clog. If you still want to replace, ATP turbo sells the fittings with AN s so you can go custom on top. The bottom I think you would have to stay stock.

·
Registered
3,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Squaab99t said:
\

I'd just clean the return one. The thing is pretty good size and along as it is not clugged you should be good to go. Replace the O ring while you are there. Rob at Scanwest says that is the one that cokes/clogs up and the upper one is feeling the cooler oil so is less likely to clog. If you still want to replace, ATP turbo sells the fittings with AN s so you can go custom on top. The bottom I think you would have to stay stock.

Right....

I have to replace the return line because I .... "customized" it when I installed my last turbo. I couldn't use it in it's stock form so I cut out the middle section and replaced it with braided rubber hose, and used the original connection to the turbo & block.

So for this new solution I'm going to use the stock return. I bet rob has a used one lying around somewhere...

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
I'm in the middle of a headgasket change on my car, which has turned into a turbo change as well. I haven't taken off the supply line yet, but it has a much smaller bore, its more likely to be clogged than the return. Will report further findings.

·
Registered
858 Posts
IJ,

I beleive that the thread size on the block is M14X1.5 and on the CHRA it is standard pipe thread size/count 27 or 28. Check out my Project's thread for proper size. I made up a new supply pipe with SS flexible hose and Earl Couplings that were bought off the shelf. For the bottom was mostly the same, made an enlarger/reducer then machined a bushing to friction fit in the block with threaded end and ran SS flexible hose to the CHRA. I'm out of town so no pics of the lower hose can I provide you.

pierre

·
Registered
230 Posts
Much worse on the nonH20-cooled units FYI

Generally this is most problematic on the non-water cooled garrett t3's, up to 88 or so in the c900 range. Have only seen one clogged line on a water cooled turbo (either TE05 or T3)... and that car was abused with 200+ K.

This is in big contrast to the old 8v turbo cars and the 85,86,87 16v 900Ts, where i've seen many coked up /clogged oil supply lines (on top, the small diameter line). Generally its not the entire line that clogs from teh engine to the turbo, but just a small portion right at the turbo fitting (held down with 2 bolts). Coke (hardened burned oil) builds up and then all it takes is a small piece of sediment or something to block it off entirely.

I've not yet seen a return (turbo to block) line ever clogged for what its worth.

·
Registered
3,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
nashvegas said:
This is in big contrast to the old 8v turbo cars and the 85,86,87 16v 900Ts, where i've seen many coked up /clogged oil supply lines (on top, the small diameter line).
Well I'll have to check mine, as it's a 87 and spent most of its 130k as an oilcooled only turbo :cheesy:

Thanks all, this is going to be a blast :p

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
I'd advise against removing the return line. It took me an hour and a half of swearing to get it re-installed.

·
Registered
3,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
philb said:
I'd advise against removing the return line. It took me an hour and a half of swearing to get it re-installed.
I've done it several times... it's a puzzle - if you don't understand it, it looks like magic. Once you get it though, well it's a breeze.

Like I said before, I cut up my old return pipe so that's why I need a new one. It's not because I am afraid it has clogged.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts