SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have a source for replacement windshield trim here in the states? Mine is really knackered - the previous owner applied chrome tape to it - which was a dismal failure. I've removed the tape and painted the trim black -but it still looks like dung. If there are no known sources for replacement stuff I suppose I'll start digging through the wrecker yards and try to find a decent bit for the front and back.

Thanks

Steve

·
Registered
7,090 Posts
trip to the breakers I think Steve, probably the cheapest as well.
even I have'nt got a spare one of those lol

·
Premium Member
11,587 Posts
Don't know how your winsdcreen places work over there, but I just went to my local independent windscreen place with a small piece of the original and said this is what I want. A few days later went back and collected a roll long enough to do 2 cars :cool:

·
Registered
112 Posts
What's yours look like painted black (gotta pic?). I painted mine with flat black and think it looks pretty good, but I guess it's all relative. Prior to painting there were at least 6 different shades of rust, white, black, and silver on my windshield trim.

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
Don't know how your winsdcreen places work over there, but I just went to my local independent windscreen place with a small piece of the original and said this is what I want. A few days later went back and collected a roll long enough to do 2 cars :cool:
Got a part number and company for it? Also, was your in black or chrome?

·
Registered
4,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What's yours look like painted black (gotta pic?). I painted mine with flat black and think it looks pretty good, but I guess it's all relative. Prior to painting there were at least 6 different shades of rust, white, black, and silver on my windshield trim.
mine looks like dung - I'd take a pic but it'd break the lens (actually from 10 feet away it's fine)! Original trim was pitted, cracked and had silver tape stuck to it - I'm going to follow up on nutcases advice and hit a local windshield shop to purchase some trim - if I can find one to sell me some I'll post the PN and approximate cost/foot.

Steve

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
Not handy, but I know where the reciept is at my parents. Mine is chrome although they did also do the black.
Forgot to ask- is the chrome flexible enough to do the hatch window- doing an 8V N/A for my daughter to help restore and want to be able to do the chrome trim to keep it "pretty". Note- this car already is starting with purple silicone tubing under the hood.

·
Registered
18,382 Posts
check JCWhitney they probably have that chrome stuff on a roll for 10$

·
Premium Member
11,587 Posts
Forgot to ask- is the chrome flexible enough to do the hatch window- doing an 8V N/A for my daughter to help restore and want to be able to do the chrome trim to keep it "pretty". Note- this car already is starting with purple silicone tubing under the hood.

It appears in all extents to be identical to what Saab used originally, so yes.

·
Registered
4,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
check JCWhitney
heh ... last time I used JCW (sometime in the late 1970's, to be fair) I waited 6 months for a set of Bugpack alloy valve covers - by the time they arrived the type 1 engine originally installed in the car I was building had been replaced by a type 4......

·
Premium Member
11,587 Posts
Got a part number and company for it? Also, was your in black or chrome?
And finally dug the reciept out. Not much help I'm afraid :( Only info is "chrome insert". Cose £35.35 in April 2004. I got it from CCS Windscreens in Chelmsford, Essex UK but they had to order it in from their supplier.

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
And finally dug the reciept out. Not much help I'm afraid :( Only info is "chrome insert". Cose £35.35 in April 2004. I got it from CCS Windscreens in Chelmsford, Essex UK but they had to order it in from their supplier.
Not quite the walk down to the local shop I envisioned. Will check with a local glass guy and see what we can come up with. Travel of roughly 7500KM is jus' a LEEEETLE further than I was planning on:lol:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Old thread... I know.
But for anyone else looking....

I purchased a 50' roll for about $40 USD from Dawn Enterprises - based in Ohio http://www.dawn-ent.com/molding/solid.htm.

The part# was AB65050-R back then, but looks like it may have since changed.

If you put the part# in your favorite search engine, you might get a few hits.

Really easy to replace if you do it on a HOT day when it's more flexible. You'll need something similar to a credit card to get the trim in place.

When you're all done replacing it, the results will be well worth the effort! ;ol;

1 - 15 of 15 Posts