SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need a complete front strut assembly (strut, spring, bump stop, etc) for my 2000 9-3 Base model. I found this kit for the newer 9-3's (Unity® 2-11181-11182-001 - Front Complete Strut Assemblies) but I don't see one for the older models. I know eEuroparts used to sell it but I guess not anymore since they changed everything around.

I can still get all the pieces one by one but I was hoping to have someone else put it all together for me.

·
Registered
10,911 Posts
The reason you don't see those for the older models is that the strut housing is integrated into the steering knuckle. Any complete strut assembly would also have to include a wheel bearing and hub. Unless your strut housing is rusted out, there's no reason to replace that part. Just have a shop replace the strut insert, along with the strut mount, bearing, and the sacrificial zinc spacer that sits below the spring. Everything else should be fine.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ugh. I replaced both control arms a few weeks ago and now I'm hearing a pretty prominent WAP! sound on the passenger side when I go over a large bump or pothole. I also hear creaking as the car goes up and down so I'm thinking I need a new cartridge and maybe bump stop. Since the whole thing is one piece in the earlier 9-3's do I have to pull the strut/steering-knuckle/hub completely off the car? Is there any way to replace the various parts of the strut insert without doing that? Maybe through the strut mount hole in the top? I'm grasping at straws here I think...

·
Registered
10,911 Posts
Yep, the whole thing has to come off the car. It's a PITA the first time you do it, since you have to take off the hub nut, brake rotor, and caliper, and unbolt the tie rod end and control arm. Some people have attempted to partially disassemble the strut while it's partially on the car, but it's even more work and more dangerous since you can't get a proper spring compressor on there that way. It sounds like you definitely need new strut mounts, and inserts are cheap enough that you might as well replace them, too, especially if they're original.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Jeremy. Yeah sounds like a pain. Obviously you can't know for sure without looking at the car but do you think it's dangerous to drive it this way for 500 miles or so? Or is it just annoying and creaky? The ball joint & control arm are on there nice and tight since I just did that part. I'll plan to do this job right but I won't be able to get to it for a month or so.

·
Registered
10,911 Posts
If it's just making funny noises, it's probably fine to keep driving it. The front suspension setup on these cars is pretty crappy if you ask me, and they start making noises way too early. Mine creaks when turning in a parking lot despite rebuilding everything fairly recently, and the front suspension was making all sorts of noise over speed bumps when the car only had 80K miles on it. Coming from Hondas, that was disappointing.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts