SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello folks,

My 04 9-5 Aero has developed an annoying sound in the engine. Upon cold start, there is a a lot of tick tick tick coming from Cylinders 1 and 2, then after a while the sound dies down significantly when idling. When I step on it, the sound comes back. There is a bit of an exhaust leak coming from the manifold (I changed it, and I suspect the seal didn't take 100%). I read the whole not enough oil thing, but I checked it three times and it is 5.7 liters. Lifters? If so, how much of a PIA job is that, and how much should that set me back? I am selling the car, it only has 100K miles on it, rides great, so I am trying to figure out if to sell as is at a discount or get it done or do it. Please help, I am a big fan of all the great help I have read on here so far. Thank you in advance....

·
Registered
21 Posts
This might sound weird for a lower mileage car but check your oil pressure. What kind of oil did you put it the car last time too?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you Aeroguy

Doesn't sound weird at all, my gut is telling me it has to do with pressure. The sound is really loud when I first start it, then it goes down significantly, yet you can still hear it. As if the pressure got built up with the engine running. Of course, when you step on it under engine load, ie driving, the sound comes back. I almost always use M-1, but I had to cheap out and use an alternative, yet still synthetic. I don't quite remember. There is a slight chance I used semi-synthetic, on account of someone saying something about the best of both worlds. So my question is, what oil would have made a difference, and how do I check oil pressure. My gauge on the dashboard is fine, but isn't that just oil temp? I rebuild a 9000 Aero, but I never dealt with this issue, so pardon the naive ignorance. Thanks for you help....

·
Registered
491 Posts
Try to make a video of this. Sometime we can listen to the ticking sound and diagnose better. How long does it take for the sound to go away? What oil weight? 10w-40, 10w-30 etc.

If the sound goes away after the car warms up you may have some pressure or viscosity issues... but I dont think it would return under load. When I had a dead lifter, mine was really noisy only at lower rpms, but that was for only one lifter. But check the simple stuff first.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have heard a ticking before from a cracked exhaust manifold, not a saab but still it was a ticking. Depends what it sounds like and how loud, but would also explain it being louder when you step on it.

Possibly wrong as I'm new to working on saabs but probably worth checking.

Chris

·
Registered
579 Posts
I'll second that, an exhaust leak near the head can sound really unusual. Sometimes sounding like lifters, sometimes even sounding like a bad connecting rod. I've known more than one person to tear an engine apart thinking there were major internal issues only to find that the noise was actually exhaust!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts