SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a few problems getting the door cover off, but I tried it again today, and was able to do it!. Then much to my dismay I found a membrane underenath and nearly no workable room. Now, If I was going to install regular 6.5's in the doors, it'd be ok, but I bought component speakers, and I really have no where to mount the tweeters and crossover =(.

Has anyone Installed Comps in their saab? I was thinking instead that I could just pop them in the rear where the empty 6x9 holes are, power them with an amp (which would also be powering a sub). But then I fear the sound stage would be FAR to much in the rear.

Alternatvly I could install the woofer(not the tweeter) only in the front door, power them, and then power my subwoofer? (and maybe get an aftermarket 4' set of speakers and connect it with to tweeters and crossovers)

Or my third option would be to buy new 6.5' speakers, Power them, Install my 6.5' Comp speakers in the rear parcal shelf and wire them in parallel to the stock amp (parallel to get some more oomph, not sure if it'd be ok with the amp, but it wouldn't be running the front speakers anymore) And power my sub.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
6,410 Posts
The signal to the doors is filtered to limit high frequencies. So you would need to tap a separate source and route it to the doors to feed your tweeter.

Install the 6.5" driver by itself, or return for cheaper 6.5" coaxial which will get the job done as well. You need 2 ohm impedance to get the same sound level as stock. The stock door speaker is 2 ohm, and AMP1 is configured to drive that load.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ctrlz Your the best. Also, my speakers are 4 ohms, but the reason being is that I will be driving them with a seperate amp. I guess the biggest issue now is to tap the wires. I really don't want to remove the car seat, I'll just see if I can tap the wires from somewhere else =D.

I was thinking that too. Regardless of where I put the comps in my car, they really wouldn't be that great since every speaker is essentially filtered for either high or low :p

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
ctrlz said:
The signal to the doors is filtered to limit high frequencies. So you would need to tap a separate source and route it to the doors to feed your tweeter.
robhurlburt said:
i thought it was for low frequencies, and the dash was high?
You both said the same thing.
ctrlz said that the high frequencies do not go to the door.
you said the low frequencies go to the door.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Installed the woofers, they sound pretty good actuly. I ran wire from the front to the back, but it's too cold now so I'll hopefully hook my amp tommorow. But, I have a 4 chanel loc. How do I connect it if I want both signals comming from the door panels? (Can I just connect the rears and fronts lines of the loc to the same place on the fronts?)

Also, when connecting the wires, there are two grey/white ones, which do I know is which (take into account that I'm connecting the wires from the side, eg. not removing the seat).

·
Registered
6,410 Posts
Aleksander_T said:
Also, when connecting the wires, there are two grey/white ones, which do I know is which (take into account that I'm connecting the wires from the side, eg. not removing the seat).
Without seeing the wiring diagram for you LOC I could only guess. But if these are unlabelled you probably have a transformer-based LOC, and these are the transformer grounds. You can leave them unconnected, also known as a "floating ground."

If you have a 4-channel LOC and no diagram to guide you, you would have to open it and figure out which wire does what. The PCB inside is probably labelled, but if you have any understanding of electronics these things are pretty simple to figure out.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
No no, It's a 4 channel lock, and the wires are marked. But if I connect The signal from the front and the rear speakers, My sub will have no bass. I want to somehow tap the same wire (say my front left speaker + wire ) twice, so I fool the LOC into thinking I am connecting the front and back speakers while in truth, I'm just redundantly connecting my front two speakers twice.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes rob, thats exactly what I ment! =D . As you've experienced it's kinda hard to explain. So did you do it? Also, how did you do it? Did you buy some special splicer or just tie three wires at once place.

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
no i haven't done it yet, i am waiting untill after the holidays when i get some free time. I don't plan on buying any special splicers, just some regular wire nuts and electrical tape outta do the trick. I'll let you know how it goes when i take care of it!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'll probably try to do mine today or tomorrow =D. Anyways I see you mentioned that you were worried about your loc was not being rated for more then 10 watts? Is that going to be a big issue ? (mine’s a dave narone and it says no more then 10 watts). I remember in my old system I'd just pump the gain up so I really couldn't go much louder the setting 7 / 20, without blowing ear drums, so I can't imagine it being to much of an issue.

Worst case senerio, I can just replace it since I'll have mine in the boot!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts