SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
CAR MODEL: Saab 9-3 SE 1999 turbo 154hp T5 120,000miles

Hello, i was wondering if any of you could identify this sound coming from the right side of the engine (passenger side) where the serpentine/drive belt is, so far ive changed the powersteering pump, tensioner, pulley and the drive belt itself. I have flushed the powersteering pump completley and there is no hoses/pipes that are broken, that i know of.

When i first did my diagnostics i took of the drive belt and started feeling for any play in the pulleys that i could move(everyone execpt flywheel) and the only one that seemed bad to me was the powersteering pulley with a little too much play, all the others seemed fine but thought id change the cheap ones anyway since i was already going to take apart the powersteering module.

so.. after this the sound still remains and im really getting tired of all the looks im getting while driving;D, i can describe the sound as a constant whining sound from engine start to engine stop INCREASING with RPM that will say it also increases if i use my CLUTCH or being in a lower gear when not supposed to, if i drive with high gears the sound is less, but still there, so for sure it's constant.

A/C compresser/water pump/flywheel is the onces that are left.. my oil is looking good and there is no coolant leak, A/C never worked but the pulley itself dont have any play and is spining good.

In advance ill excuse myself for my poor english, my heritage is from the country of SAABs and polar bears :)

Please tell me if you've had the same kind of noise so i can have some money for the rest of the month haha.

standing still : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=da3wmx07RIE&feature=youtu.be

acceleration: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wR9dQGE64X0&feature=youtu.be

·
Registered
18,535 Posts
Just to confirm: If you take the serp belt off, the noise goes away?

Also, is the A/C clutch disconnecting when you go to ECON mode?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I havn't tried that yet, what is there to expect if the sound persist or goes away?

Nor have i tried doing that, my A/C never worked, that is: ive had no cool air during summers etc..

I saw a empty fuse slot in the motorroom that had a missing fuse for "cooling fan" beside the ABS fuse, the BIG ones.

·
Registered
18,535 Posts
If the sound is still there without the belt on, then it's an internal engine problem.

If the sound goes away, it's an accessory.

Do it with the engine COLD (overnight) and don't run it for long... maybe a couple minutes. You don't have any cooling when you are doing it (or alternator, etc). But, that should be long enough to tell if it has stopped.

Once we know where it is, we can suggest the next step.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yes ur so right.. why didn't i do that before, ill try it today definatley.
I guess i should try without relay for a/c compressor aswell, since it never worked anyway, if your request indicates that the sound is coming from there.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Okey, so without the drivebelt there was no sound!
I didnt quite understand the A/C thing you asked for, but i turned the ECON ON while the belt was off and nothing particular happend.
The water pump pulley actually had really bad spin, i think when i checked it earlier i got fooled for the almost mirror-like reflection it has.. now when i payed more attention it stopped spinning really quickly.

·
Registered
18,535 Posts
OK, so you can be sure that it's an accessory then and not internal.

If the waterpump is bad, it usually has lots of play you can feel by wiggling it left to right. Or you will feel that it is rough when you spin it. I don't know how long it should spin for, but the impeller is always pushing water inside it, so I would say that that is not a test to worry about. A new one is fairly tight because of the seal in it.

The A/C would be my first suspect. I've heard some funny noises when they go bad. Also, the alternator can make noises as can the PS pump. I don't think the tensioner or idler would make those kind of noises.

Wiggle both of them with the belt off their pulley and see if they have any play. If not, get a mechanics stethoscope (example: http://www.sears.com/lisle-corporation-mechanic-s-stethoscope/p-SPM7242914109 ). Put the belt back on and run the car. Carefully listen to each pulley / unit individually. You should be able to pin it down.

·
Registered
341 Posts
If you want to eliminate the A/C you can install a shorter belt to bypass it. If your A/C has never worked it might make sense to do anyway.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I will try my friends doctor stetoscope..hehe, or the long screwdriver might work.

Yes i will reconsider that. sucks this one is fairly new, It'll have to wait till i fix the A/C if that now is the case.
Posting conclusions after more diagnostics tomorrow.

Anyone that had experience with a similar problem to mine which and found out the failing part/component? Money is what i dont have atm, any tips n tricks are welcome:)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
After listening to the sound i would say its probally the water pump, kinda hard to locate since this whining noise is travelling into the engine. A friend of mine recently blowed his head gasket(he didnt fill coolant..)on a 9-3 2002 but everything else is working as intended, buying it for 100$~ ill finish the thread when i can start taking parts from his vehicle. Peace and so long:) thanks for all the tips!

·
Registered
11 Posts
when you're checking with the stethoscope try and land the head of the stethoscope on the center nut on the AC pulley to see if its your bearing. you won't hear it as much if you have your scope on the actual ac unit.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Hello i did this today: bought a shorter belt 1825mm or something to bypass the AC compressor. Then i removed relay J and fuse 5 in the motorroom fuse box to make sure the AC compressor was off. Then i started the car but sound is still there..! Later i removed the magnet coupling aswell just to make sure its not the ACC and no luck there either.
Started the car and drove home perfectly fine but now i cant start it again cause battery is drained? Thoughts anyone ?

As i said earlier in this thread i bought a friends 9-3 this saturday so parts is atleast no longer a problem..:)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The generator was causing the sound, probally some regulator or way too much **** in the wrong places. Now its time to fix suspension! Hope someone else will get use of this thread start.
Peace

1 - 15 of 15 Posts