SaabCentral Forums banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,650 Posts
Hello...do you know if it is possible to find a speedometer or inlay in KM for a Sonett III?...Thank you
Not likely since the Sonett was specifically made for the US. It was not sold in Europe to the best of my knowledge.

·
Super Moderator
1,650 Posts
What???
Sonett was normally sold in Europe.
From the Saab Sonett wiki:
“It was mainly intended for the lucrative American export market and was only offered intermittently in the Swedish domestic market (model years 1968 and 1972).”
Also:
“While the Sonett V4 was assembled in Sweden, nearly the entire production was exported to the United States”
All Sonett III were LHD for that reason too.

·
Super Moderator
1,650 Posts
Sure, but not the “rest of Europe” as you had stated. Sonett was primarily made for the US market, and that’s where the overwhelming majority were sold. Heck, even the shifter was changed going from Sonett V4 to III (column mount to floor mount) to accommodate American drivers preference (Swedish preference was to leave it on the column).

·
Super Moderator
1,650 Posts
Britain and Ireland not part of Europe now? ;)

·
Super Moderator
1,650 Posts
Good Morning....can anybody tell me: 1) if the original air cleaner from a Sonett III fits on top of a Weber Carburator?, 2) is there enough space to install an electric fan in a Sonett III with air conditioning?, 3) Does anybody know where to find a classic saab wood steering wheel?, Thank you very much
:)
Roger Muller
1. Depends on which Weber you’re going with, would be my guess. Guys who upgrade to two barrel versions usually use a different air cleaner if memory serves me.
2. You usually deep six the belt driven fan and the fan bearing when going with an electric fan. That gives you the room. If you’re adding A/C, you could probably do a pusher fan in front of the condenser & radiator.
3. Got me on that one...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hello, I am interested in ordering a wood steering wheel for my Sonett III, one option is Mono Lita, does anybody know the diameter from the original steering, and or which model from Moto Lita would fit? Thank you very much

·
Super Moderator
1,650 Posts
Is it possible to buy new Sonett III taillights? Thanks
Doubtful but those parts should be readily available. Sonett bodies (shells) are way more plentiful than the chassis are, since the shell is fiberglas. So, the plastic taillights typically survive too.

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
Is it possible to buy new Sonett III taillights? Thanks
I memory serves me well the Sonett tailight, the plastic lens at least, was shared with a few years of the SAAB 99 sedan.That would make it more available to buy I would suspect

·
Registered
13 Posts
I would like to thank the Saab community for all the help, I feel I am making a lot of progress in a short time. So my plan is to leave the original Sonett III V4 engine, but make some changes. Electric fan, new Weber single 34 ICH carburetor, new modern distributor, lightened flywheel....I will keep the original air cleaner/look which I like. I do not drive fast but like a responsive car with good acceleration. Would I get to about 100 PS with this setup? The next step is to go with the 2 bbl intake manifold and 2 bbl Weber carburetor. Am I missing anything? Should I stay with my plan or really go with the 2 bbl intake and Weber carburetor? How big of a difference it would make? After checking, my engine is in good shape, pistons are good and do not need to upgrade. Please let me know your thoughts...thank you again :)

·
Super Moderator
1,650 Posts
I would like to thank the Saab community for all the help, I feel I am making a lot of progress in a short time. So my plan is to leave the original Sonett III V4 engine, but make some changes. Electric fan, new Weber single 34 ICH carburetor, new modern distributor, lightened flywheel....I will keep the original air cleaner/look which I like. I do not drive fast but like a responsive car with good acceleration. Would I get to about 100 PS with this setup? The next step is to go with the 2 bbl intake manifold and 2 bbl Weber carburetor. Am I missing anything? Should I stay with my plan or really go with the 2 bbl intake and Weber carburetor? How big of a difference it would make? After checking, my engine is in good shape, pistons are good and do not need to upgrade. Please let me know your thoughts...thank you again :)
I’d stay with the Weber 34 as long as you are keeping the stock cam. I would make sure you have a good, mandrel bent exhaust system (no crushed bends). Then make sure you open up the exhaust “donut” adapters to make sure they aren’t choking down the exhaust. I’d run a 160 degree thermostat and flush the cooling system, add a bottle of Water Wetter too. Make sure your freewheel mechanism is locked out too, and change the gearbox fluid to Redline synthetic.

When things are running great, and you’re ready for the next step, add metal timing gears, a street performance cam, and 2 bbl intake & carb at that time. While doing the cam work, send the cylinder heads out for larger valves and better springs.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I don’t know much information on the Sonett yet, but would switching the drivetrain to RWD give any extra room for a bigger engine? Could this work if it is possible to make a hump in between the passenger and driver’s footwell thus creating two separate footwells? In result, could this allow room for a RWD transmission, drive shaft, and to maybe to be able to put in a longer engine? This is a crazy idea, but I’m curious if theoretically this could work in the Sonett 3. Thanks

·
Super Moderator
1,650 Posts
I don’t know much information on the Sonett yet, but would switching the drivetrain to RWD give any extra room for a bigger engine? Could this work if it is possible to make a hump in between the passenger and driver’s footwell thus creating two separate footwells? In result, could this allow room for a RWD transmission, drive shaft, and to maybe to be able to put in a longer engine? This is a crazy idea, but I’m curious if theoretically this could work in the Sonett 3. Thanks
I’m guessing you’ve never worked in a Sonett engine bay. A 4 cylinder fills the engine bay pretty well, never mind trying to jam in a V8. I saw one guy who put in a Ford 2.8 V6 and it made the car a front nose-heavy pig.

I built my Sonett around a turbocharged version of the 1.7L V4. That would be a solid way to get more power out of such a small car.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts