SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:eek: so i had a mountain bike bar end in the hole in my intake that i had to plug when i but on my BOV. the bar cap had a little part that goes inside the little stub on the intake that tightens to it when you turn a screw. well it worked great, but i figured it was time to move to a better method for plugging the intake. but when i went to remove the bar cap it was still there, but the part that goes itno the intake that tightens down had loosened over time and fell into the intake! :x i havent noticed any problems, but where should i look for it?! would it go down into the turbo? I cant really figure out where it would go after it fell down. it is basically just 2 little plastice peices that fell in. i am so pissed, but havent noticed any troubles with the car that werent there before already. where would this thing be?!

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
My guess is that they probably when through the turbo and out the exhaust. The way the intake pipe slope into the turbo there isnt anything there to where the parts would get caught before getting to the turbo. Take it off and take a look before you go too far.

·
Registered
2,869 Posts
Ive always thought of putting a screen in after the intake, just as a precautionary. Its too risky to have something accidentally enter that intake.

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
Wow, that's bad luck. I would wonder though that you must notice if there was damage? I mean the likely case is that a turbo fin would get bent, and this would cause a different feel for the car if not more serious problems.

I actually had this happen. A ricjk got in there as one of the tubes cracked. It bent off one of the fins on the turbo and the fin got stuck in the I/C tube. The dealership got a good laugh out of that one. Luckly they covered it under warranty under "pipe failure" or something.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hmmm, so should i take the turbo off and look at it? how do i take the turbo off? it looked pretty tough to get to.

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
I wonder if you just took some pipe work off and used a mirror to see the fins?

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It is kind of a tight fit, and I don't know if theres enough light. Haha, knowing my luck I would drop the mirror down there too. Where would the piece be if it went through the turbo? It spools up fine, doesnt hold boost past red very long, but i thoguht that was a different problem.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
stromer said:
I wonder if you just took some pipe work off and used a mirror to see the fins?
Exactly what I thought...then I read your post.

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
I wouldn't be too worried about a couple of little plastic pieces. Chances are if they made it too far they would just burn up. I once dropped a whole qtip into my cylinder (while trying to clean the threads) and the car just ate it up! It missed for about 25 seconds while it destroyed it, and then all was well. Maybe I had a small pile of goo on the top of the piston, but I am sure that went away after a while. A turbo is prety hot so it would probably at least soften it enough to help it not cause any more damage. Metal chunks I would be more worried about, but something that can burn easily, I think you would be fine.

Just my two cents though, if you are paranoid enough (which I am guilty of with lots of things, it not bad) then go ahead and have a look. But you have to ask your self how long ago did these things pull up anchor? You might be hunting down a couple of plastic bits that sorted themselves out months ago!

Tboy

1 - 9 of 9 Posts