SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I put gas in my 9-3 for the first time last night (dealership had filled it when I took delivery last Friday). The sales guy said they recommended mid grade (which around here is 89 octane). After reading some threads here, I decided to pay the extra 15 cents and put 93 in. However, while driving home, I swear the engine "felt" rougher...and it seemed to just not idle as smoothly as before. Could it be that the car is just adjusting to the higher octane, and it will smooth out later? I'm assuming they filled it with 89 (sheesh, they probably put 87 in it to save money), but I've never had a car run rougher by putting in higher octane gas before. Am I crazy?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
84 Posts
I dont know about the US but here in Aus the higher grade fuels ie 98 octane use more & better quality detergent additives so that they clean your injectors as you drive (if you believe the marketing hype)
I know in my 9000 put 91 octane in & the car runs rougher, gets worse MPG & generally doesnt feel as nice, a few tanks of 98 BP Ultimate & it feels great again & MPG improves.

As for my 9-3 I only ever feed it 98 Octane fuel since new, this will change @ Xmas when we drive 4000kms across to Perth when many servos on the trip will only have 95 Octane fuel.

Cheers Teddy
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
86 Posts
Where did you have it filled? I get better results from Sams 87 than I do from Exxon 93, and I'm still undecided on BP (And I generally stay clear of any other "brands").
Tons of threads on other forums about what the best gas is (By price, ethanol content, detergents, reliability, etc.), but sometimes it can come down to good/bad luck (A crappy service station, filling up shortly after the station's tanks have been filled, etc.).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
JonV said:
How empty did you let your tank get before you filled up?
Scraping the bottom.

I used Shell 93, it's what I've always used in my cars unless there wasn't one nearby when I needed it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
588 Posts
I was at the dealer recently shopping around and I was told Saab recommends 87 in both the 2.0T and the Aero. I was shocked to hear this.

Does anyone put 87 consistently in either?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
502 Posts
sm0kescreen said:
I put gas in my 9-3 for the first time last night (dealership had filled it when I took delivery last Friday). The sales guy said they recommended mid grade (which around here is 89 octane). After reading some threads here, I decided to pay the extra 15 cents and put 93 in. However, while driving home, I swear the engine "felt" rougher...and it seemed to just not idle as smoothly as before. Could it be that the car is just adjusting to the higher octane, and it will smooth out later? I'm assuming they filled it with 89 (sheesh, they probably put 87 in it to save money), but I've never had a car run rougher by putting in higher octane gas before. Am I crazy?
Ask yourself this question:

Who is more likely to provide you with accurate information? SAAB, or the dealership?

SAAB designed and built the car, so they know everything there is to know about it.

The dealer, on the other hand, wants to sell you the car. That's their primary goal. They'll tell you anything they can get away with telling you in order to sell it. Does it sound even remotely reasonable that providing you with accurate information about the car's engine and fuel requirements is a priority to them? It shouldn't.

Go with what the manual says. 90-octane or higher.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
54 Posts
I have a 03 Vector 2.0T. In Vancouver I use 94 octane. But I travel to Seattle alot and I they only have 92. When I use the American gas, the car begins to run ALOT rougher... it's like night and day. I'm sure there's something wrong with my car, but no shop has been able to diagnose the problem, and when i fill up with 94 when i get back home, the car starts to run smooth again. It's like clockwork. I've documented this on 4 different trips to Seattle. Seems like these cars are rather finnicky.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ronin9-3 said:
With high quality fuel your car is able to idle with lower RPM's, which can explain the different sound you hear.
Actually, that is kind of what's happening...it almost scares me how low it's idling, but they did mention to me when it was being delivered that 9-3s do idle pretty low sometimes.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
DrSandman said:
Ask yourself this question:

Who is more likely to provide you with accurate information? SAAB, or the dealership?

SAAB designed and built the car, so they know everything there is to know about it.

The dealer, on the other hand, wants to sell you the car. That's their primary goal. They'll tell you anything they can get away with telling you in order to sell it. Does it sound even remotely reasonable that providing you with accurate information about the car's engine and fuel requirements is a priority to them? It shouldn't.

Go with what the manual says. 90-octane or higher.
On the contrary, I was not taking what the dealer told me at face value...if I had, I would have probably put in 87. I'm just relaying what is happening.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,509 Posts
sm0kescreen said:
Scraping the bottom.

I used Shell 93, it's what I've always used in my cars unless there wasn't one nearby when I needed it.
"Scraping the bottom" ...That's a bad practice to begin with....just because it's a new car doesn't mean no condensation or sediment in the tank, although rare, it can happen. I never let my tank get below 1/4 and usually top off when it's at half. You could have gotten some bad gas too. Also rare, but does happen.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,509 Posts
Re: Top Tier Gas...I live in one of the most populated areas of the country and only one of the ten listed "Top Tier" Brands is in my Area "Shell" and not even close. You can't say the Big guys like Sunoco, Exxon/Mobil, Hess etc make a poor Product. There's a lot of marketing in that....I didn't even know Kwik Mart had refineries????
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
407 Posts
i wouldnt put 87 in any car...unless it was some kind of beater...or a prius
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,467 Posts
soul05 said:
i wouldnt put 87 in any car...unless it was some kind of beater...or a prius
Our 2001 Chrysler van ran better on 87 than 92. In fact the owners manual recommended the lower octane (only in Chrysler). The van was able to use the 85 ethanol.

One time I put in 92 octane by mistake and it ran horrible.

I've only run 92 octane in our Saabs.
 
1 - 20 of 32 Posts
Top