SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning...noticed an oil smell in my garage this morning so I opened the hood and found oil all over the place. In the photo, it looks like there might be something like a cap missing. Is that correct? Anyone know what it might be?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
That’s your brake vacuum pump and that’s a metal plug on top of it. It’s not leaking from there unless the middle of your plug has a hole - doubt it. What you’re seeing is residual oil from elsewhere.

Clean all around that area and check your oil level. If OK, very briefly run the engine to look for the leak. It could be coming from where the pump mates to the engine. There are two o-rings inside the pump that can fail, although I’ve never seen oil leaking on top of it - it usually drips under the pump and collects on top of the transmission. From your photo it appears that oil is spraying out as opposed to dripping.

Edit: Also check the power steering pump and its level which is just in front of it (where you add ps fluid). There are pressure hoses connected to it and one could be leaking under pressure and spraying fluid on grime on the engine making it look like an oil leak. The ps fluid has a greenish-brown tint to it.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I think the ps pump needs a new shaft seal. I think engine oil is getting in there and making it overflow.

there's a ton of threads on here about the ps pump seal replacement. The seal is like $13.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts