SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What could it be? After i had the car running awhile to charge up the battery. i noticed my parking lights stayed on even with the key out. That never happened, what could be causing the lights to stay on? I read somewhere about new bulbs causing electrical problems, I just installed new headlights which are xenon hid DS1 bulbs. Could the new bulbs cause the battery to be drained?

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
What could it be? After i had the car running awhile to charge up the battery. i noticed my parking lights stayed on even with the key out. That never happened, what could be causing the lights to stay on? I read somewhere about new bulbs causing electrical problems, I just installed new headlights which are xenon hid DS1 bulbs. Could the new bulbs cause the battery to be drained?
when you remove your key from the ignition make sure the cylinder pops back up, otherwise it can cause lights to stay on and such

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
when you remove your key from the ignition make sure the cylinder pops back up, otherwise it can cause lights to stay on and such
You are right its the cylinder, how would you fix it to get it to pop back up? little WD 40?

·
Registered
869 Posts
Yep got the WIS, what would you clean it with? Thanks.
I cleaned my wife's out in my parts washer then lubed it up with PB Blaster. If you don't have a parts washer I would use Electronic Contact Cleaner (leaves no residue behind) available at any auto parts store.

It will take you longer to get the cylinder out of the car (using a small diameter allen wrench to push the tab) than it will to actually clean and lube it up.

That will probably be all you need to do to it, though my wife's ignition had another issue with the pin that rotates and hides in the cylinder to allow it to pop up like it should. Hopefully you won't need to mess with that, but if you do I can certainly help you with that.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I cleaned my wife's out in my parts washer then lubed it up with PB Blaster. If you don't have a parts washer I would use Electronic Contact Cleaner (leaves no residue behind) available at any auto parts store.

It will take you longer to get the cylinder out of the car (using a small diameter allen wrench to push the tab) than it will to actually clean and lube it up.

That will probably be all you need to do to it, though my wife's ignition had another issue with the pin that rotates and hides in the cylinder to allow it to pop up like it should. Hopefully you won't need to mess with that, but if you do I can certainly help you with that.
Jeez, I can't get the darn thing out, I cut piece of wire from a clothes hanger you know they are hard and good to use. Do i need to push the wire at an angle or just square to the hole or what?

·
Registered
869 Posts
Jeez, I can't get the darn thing out, I cut piece of wire from a clothes hanger you know they are hard and good to use. Do i need to push the wire at an angle or just square to the hole or what?
:D Yeah, you just have to keep poking it while pulling up on your keys and sooner or later it will pop up. The plastic tab is a pretty small target, which you'll see once you get it out.

·
Registered
3,951 Posts
Try the 1999 procedure; feel around while pushing the hanger you will feel the spring action; put the key in the cylinder turn to 10-12 o'clock, push the catch while pulling up with the key.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Try the 1999 procedure; feel around while pushing the hanger you will feel the spring action; put the key in the cylinder turn to 10-12 o'clock, push the catch while pulling up with the key.
PAH! That's what we deafies yell out when something was successfully done.

Now, I have no way to know if something is still draining the battery cuz it is at 4.21 volts and i found a date on the battery that says 10/08 so I believe its time for a new battery. I also don't have a battery charger, I tried jumping it, it was just too dead.

·
Registered
869 Posts
PAH! That's what we deafies yell out when something was successfully done.

Now, I have no way to know if something is still draining the battery cuz it is at 4.21 volts and i found a date on the battery that says 10/08 so I believe its time for a new battery. I also don't have a battery charger, I tried jumping it, it was just too dead.
Oh wow. Yeah, a new battery might be a good idea. In the meantime, you could try jumping it again but instead of trying to start it up right away just let the other car run and charge your battery for 30 minutes or so and then try to start your car....

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Oh wow. Yeah, a new battery might be a good idea. In the meantime, you could try jumping it again but instead of trying to start it up right away just let the other car run and charge your battery for 30 minutes or so and then try to start your car....
I think I am just gotta jump it and charge it then see if the battery is still being drained. I am kinda scared to start it up and let it run cuz i haven't dropped the pan yet.

One quick question, the hose that runs to the valve cover, should it be dripping with oil if i pull it off? It seems dry and has some residue, maybe its because it hasn't started up in 3 days but before then I did drive it around the block just to see if it was throwing codes and I only got P1133 pending. Man, she has alot of work to do.

·
Registered
323 Posts
I think I am just gotta jump it and charge it then see if the battery is still being drained. I am kinda scared to start it up and let it run cuz i haven't dropped the pan yet.

One quick question, the hose that runs to the valve cover, should it be dripping with oil if i pull it off? It seems dry and has some residue, maybe its because it hasn't started up in 3 days but before then I did drive it around the block just to see if it was throwing codes and I only got P1133 pending. Man, she has alot of work to do.
The hose coming off of the crankcase is your Positive Crankcase Ventilation (PCV) system. It mostly expells excess pressure from the crankcase, but oil can travel through it a little. You should read the FAQs and confirm that you have PCV kit #6 installed.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The hose coming off of the crankcase is your Positive Crankcase Ventilation (PCV) system. It mostly expells excess pressure from the crankcase, but oil can travel through it a little. You should read the FAQs and confirm that you have PCV kit #6 installed.
I just installed it last week. D*mn critters chewed some of the coating off, no holes....yet, I keep checking it daily for further damages.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts