SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so as some of you may know im new to the forum (sorta) and just got a new saab 9-5 a couple months ago. I have been working out small things since i have got it and a couple of the last things i want to verify im correct on.

First. two of my pcv hoses are smushy the one coming from the valve cover and the one going to the sump i beleive. so i obviously need to replace those. i called my local dealer which seems to be the one the car went to and they havnt done the updated pcv setup should i do this as well while doing the two hoses or is it not worth it?

Two. with those hoses being squshy is it pretty much gauranteed to have sludge issues? basicly should i go ahead and pull the sump to avoid issues. i ask because this sludge issue scares me tremendously. :p

Three: more than likely a dumb question but.... the saab dipstick for oil it just is a long wire with a plastic peice on bottom. does the oil need to just be in the middle of this plastic area or above it or just touching or what? i assume it needs to be in the middle.

i guess thats all the questions I can think of at this point and i know some seems repetitive but I just want to be sure with this pcv stuff as i dont want to have to throw a new engine in my new baby. also i have seen some people use 5w40 mobile1 would this be ok to use in Charlotte, NC or should i stick with 0w40?

Thanks in advance
Tommy

·
Registered
5,000 Posts
You should get the complete PCV update installed. It's about $60 for the parts and about an hour labour.

Squishy hose doesn't guarantee sludge. Getting the pan dropped and cleaned is a couple hours labour for a shop that's done it before and worth it for peace of mind.

Oil level should be in the flat area between the two knobs on the dipstick.

Oil quality is more important than oil weight. Whatever oil you use, make sure it is full synthetic and ACEA A3/B3 rated (it will say on the bottle).

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
Its a 1999 car, and you are already scared - drop the sump and clean it ;)

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well got some good news today i talked to my friend who bought the car originally. He said he did drop the sump and there was a bit of sludge but not a whole lot and he cleaned it all up and put it back together so i feel better about that. the hoses he said do need to be replaced but he never got to the dealership to do it. he only had the car for about 2 months. so didnt get to do a whole lot to it. so tomarrow i will change oil and hoses as well as get a new filter or possibly a open element filter. what motor flush will be good for my car that i can obtain over here in the US.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts