SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone I have a 1999 9-5 with the v6. The car has 90,000 miles on it and the car seems to be doing some wierd things. Twice in the past week and a half the car would not start with the first turn of the key, it would take 3-5 cranks and then it would start. Both times it started for me it was because I had the gas pedal to the floor. It would crank, sputter and start the shut right back off. The car seems to be running kind of wierd, sometimes if I nailed the gas pedal it would hesitate or seem like it wants to stall then it would accelerate. I would like to know why the car seems to having these problems. I plan on switching to a higher grade of gas, cleaning the throttle body and possibling changing the fuel filter, but is there anything else that I am not aware of? Any insight would be great!!

Thanks Corey

·
Registered
398 Posts
Some things that could be the cause:
Bad fuel
Clogged fuel filter
Failing fuel pump
Crank Position Sensor

It does sound like a fuel delivery problem. If the filter doesn't fix it you need to get it checked out.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys....ummm i thought if it was a fuel pump they either work or they dont for the most part. The plugs probably have 20,000 miles on them and I had the car up in the air today because I had to replace the flex pipe because some speed bumps decided they wanted to destroy it and I cut off the cat and welded up a magnaflow race cat, I looked at the fuel filter and it didnt look bad from the outside but I supose that doesnt mean anything. Any other ideas? Whats up with the crank position sensor, what is its purpose and what happens when it fails?

·
Registered
11,030 Posts
As far as i'm aware pushing the gas pedal to the floor will do nothing due to the car being fuel injection. Pumping the gas pedal harks back to the days where cars had carbs and needed gas pumping through to them to help starting. I never have my foot on the gas pedal when starting; turn ignition, allow 5 seconds for fuel pump to prime then turn ignition key. Its starts 1st time every time.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I realize the car has fuel injection but if you read my first post when I give it some gas when it wants to stall right after it starts it helps the car stay running. Any info on the Crank Position Sensor would be helpful.

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
My experience with these exact symptoms preshadowed a dead fuel pump.

In a 2 week period I replaced 2 fuel pumps on my 2 saabs. (First my 99 9-5 2.3L with 93000 miles, and then a couple weeks later on my 01 SE wagon 88000 miles). It seems like 90 K miles is about the life of the fuel pumps...

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
Well, this behavior was the precursor to the full failure. It worked 'ok' for a couple days before the pump up and died. YMMV.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
well if it is the fuel pump what would I need to order to replace it? Do I need just the pump itself or are there more parts that are needed i.e. o-ring ect?

·
Registered
230 Posts
99saabse said:
well if it is the fuel pump what would I need to order to replace it? Do I need just the pump itself or are there more parts that are needed i.e. o-ring ect?
All you need is the pump itself, around $100 and about 6 inches of fuel line and 2 clamps. You will need to cut off the hard plastic line from the fuel pump assembly. I also replaced the o-ring but I don't think it was necessary. My old one looked like new!

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Cool, thanks everyone for your help!! I hope that fixes the problem. Unfortunaitly I am at school for a couple days and I cant go home until Thursday, hopefully the car doesnt leave me stranded!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts