SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, I recently acquired a subwoofer and I want to use it in my 2000 Saab 9-5 (it has the Harman/Kardon system btw).
I've located an amp that will match RMS wattage pretty well and I will be using that too.
I'm not planning on installing these things myself, so I had a few questions before I take it to a sound shop.

Do I need an aftermarket stereo head unit to hook the amp up to it? Would most double-DIN units fit if I do?
There's apparently a Harman/Kardon amp under the glovebox on the passenger side...
Can that be ignored, or would it have to be removed?
And lastly, are there any special instructions I need to give to the installer? (I'm new to the sound stuff so I don't really know. Plus we can probably all agree that Saabs are a little strange...:cheesy:)
Thanks for any help,
Ryan

·
Registered
7,966 Posts
the saab head unit and the HK amp are not single-ended but differential driven, both on the input and output side. So if you're going to use those you need to take that into consideration.

There is an EXCELLENT tutorial on line, linked to in the FAQ section, on how to add a Double-DIN receiver into the dash and continue to use the HK amnp that is built into the car.

There is also a lot of info on line about the audio system. do a google search for "saab angry kitchen appliances" and you'll find it. shows the wiring pinouts, etc for the head units and the amps.

If you're going to replace all of them, I'd suggest getting a blown amp somewhere and taking the wiring header out of it instead of splicing into the wiring harness. That way you can always go back. I have a working pioneer amp that is lying around that you could kill. PM me if you're interested, I'll sell it for not much plus shipping.

·
Registered
3,951 Posts
Best route is just add an amp for the sub/subs; and leave everything else the way it is; unless you want another head unit adding an amp is something that's very easy to do; but if you must use a shop be carefull of how much you spend to get it done.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Best route is just add an amp for the sub/subs; and leave everything else the way it is; unless you want another head unit adding an amp is something that's very easy to do; but if you must use a shop be carefull of how much you spend to get it done.
Cool, thanks. I know a guy that has done some car audio stuff for reasonable rates before but not installing an amp.
Any idea what a reasonable charge would be for that?

And just for my own knowledge, installing an amp requires one cable to the battery for to turn it on and off with the car,
a cable to the stereo unit (are there extra outputs from it or something?)
and then a wire to ground the amp right?
Total newbie. ^^

·
Registered
3,951 Posts
Cool, thanks. I know a guy that has done some car audio stuff for reasonable rates before but not installing an amp.
Any idea what a reasonable charge would be for that?

Depend's on the shop rates and what they tell you, you need to get the job done.

And just for my own knowledge, installing an amp requires one cable to the battery for to turn it on and off with the car,
a cable to the stereo unit (are there extra outputs from it or something?)
and then a wire to ground the amp right?
Total newbie. ^^
Yes, direct power to the Battery, remote on to the radio harness and ground; and you need a line out converter to create your RCA connections to the amp.

·
Registered
3,951 Posts
Nah, you can get one for allot less; one for $20 will do just fine get one with the gain control. Check out my album; you'll see how mine is hooked up, I'm running a 400w amp to 2 4ohm 10" kickers off the rear deck speaker wires to the converter. It sounds incredible. ;ol;;ol; When I decide to go with the Dbl Din DVD head unit I plan on replacing all the speakers, adding more amp's and a crossover. I already have the amps and crossover and I think I'm going to do kicker speakers all around; I'm looking at the Pioneer head units.

I wasn't aware of that, but it makes sense.
So I need to spend another chunk of money :)lol:) on something like this?:
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_161LC2I/AudioControl-LC2i.html?tp=2001

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Nah, you can get one for allot less; one for $20 will do just fine get one with the gain control.
Excuse my naivety, but can you recommend me a line output converter? My mono amp is 400 watts at 2 ohms, 200 at 4.
Do I not need a LOC that handles up to 400 watts? :roll:

Also, thank you for all your help.

·
Registered
3,951 Posts

·
Registered
7,966 Posts
The line converters draw nearly zero power, they're just doing voltage conversion from the high-voltate that is coming from your amp (dependent on power output) and converting it into an input that your amp will take, typically 0-1 volt)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts