SaabCentral Forums banner
21 - 40 of 142 Posts

· Registered
1,045 Posts
You appear to have missed the point, low temperatures and frozen surfaces are the problem not snow.
Winter tires are better on ice as well, for sure. My experience with American roads is they are throughly, excessively, treated with salt, though.

Unless temperature is less than maybe -15 or -20c, my experience is also that all weather tires still work better.

Original poster claimed that he had poor handling in light snow and slush. My experience owning both all weather and winter specific tires is that in those circumstances, the all weather works better.

Like I said, just my opinion and experience. I don't expect consideration from Finns or Canadians. 😁

· Registered
2003 9-5 TD04 Wagon 5MT
291 Posts
You appear to have missed the point, low temperatures and frozen surfaces are the problem not snow.
It is pretty impressive how good all-seasons have gotten, even looking at on-snow performance they aren't as bad as I would have expected. Here's a brief review/comparison with an accompanying video. That being said, running snow tires in the winter is most definitely the safest option if it's feasible. I got new X-Ice Snows last winter and I was very impressed at the traction on even very steep, densely packed snow/crud.

I do think the tire discussion is a bit off track for this post though. Hopefully the problem is as simple as some end links, or uneven tire wear.

· Registered
406 Posts
Can you post the alignment readings they got when they did your alignment? Also there is a slight chance you have a cracked relector wheel on one of the front axles causing confusion with the ESP. I must repeat that is a very slight chance but worth a check because it often won't set a light until the crack grows.

· Registered
11,867 Posts
I am skeptical that sway bar links can cause this. Clunking, sure, but not wandering all over the road.

There is a physical issue somewhere. Could be alignment, tires, steering components, or suspension bushings etc.

When the winter tires were last on the car, were there any issues like now? That may or may not rule out the tires.

What suspension work has been done since the last time the car was doing fine in the snow?

Have you lifted the car up and checked for play, including up and down, both ends of the car?

· Registered
2,834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Front end links replaced this evening. Unfortunately the snow is cleared from most roads at this point, so I’ll have to wait until the next snowstorm to see if it helped.

Also going to contact the shop that did the alignment and have them give it a once over.

· Registered
2,834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
I tend to agree. Going in a straight line especially the sway bar isn't doing much, if anything. Although, potentially on truly uneven road it could make the car wallow left to right... But, it wouldn't affect handling in a meaningful way.
Lol I live in Minnesota — ALL roads here qualify as “truly uneven.” 😂

· Registered
2,834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
I am skeptical that sway bar links can cause this. Clunking, sure, but not wandering all over the road.

There is a physical issue somewhere. Could be alignment, tires, steering components, or suspension bushings etc.

When the winter tires were last on the car, were there any issues like now? That may or may not rule out the tires.

What suspension work has been done since the last time the car was doing fine in the snow?

Have you lifted the car up and checked for play, including up and down, both ends of the car?
Winter tires were fine last season.

Front Control arms, bushings, and ball joints were replaced in the front.

Rear trailing arm bushings were just done but I was having issues before I did those.

Have jacked up the car to check for play and can’t really find any —everything feels solid.

I’ll have the alignment re-checked. I replaced the end links tonight but of course the snow is cleared now.

· Registered
2,834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
It is pretty impressive how good all-seasons have gotten, even looking at on-snow performance they aren't as bad as I would have expected. Here's a brief review/comparison with an accompanying video. That being said, running snow tires in the winter is most definitely the safest option if it's feasible. I got new X-Ice Snows last winter and I was very impressed at the traction on even very steep, densely packed snow/crud.

I do think the tire discussion is a bit off track for this post though. Hopefully the problem is as simple as some end links, or uneven tire wear.
I feel like a side argument is very on brand for these forums. 😂

· Registered
2,834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Another thing to add to the pile - I do have a set of nearly brand new all-season Continental tires that I purchased this summer. I could throw those on the car and see if the handling is still crap. If it improves, that would point to the tires themselves being bad. Although, I have inspected the winter tires and I cannot detect any odd or unusual wear.

· Registered
2001 9-5 SportCombi 2.0t SE auto-4
566 Posts
Another possibility: slow puncture? Had this once and wondered about the bad handling until I had found out that one of the tires had lost pressure. Pumped up all 4 to specs and noticed then about the one on the front which lost about 1 bar over two weeks.

· Registered
1,045 Posts
Another thing to add to the pile - I do have a set of nearly brand new all-season Continental tires that I purchased this summer. I could throw those on the car and see if the handling is still crap. If it improves, that would point to the tires themselves being bad. Although, I have inspected the winter tires and I cannot detect any odd or unusual wear.
May as well. If the winter tires in question are old, the rubber does harden over time and could significantly affect the handling.

· Registered
2,834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
As I mentioned, front stabilizer links replaced a few days ago. I had Moog in there, replaced with the NAPA brand. The old ones were REALLY loose.

It snowed today. Not a lot, maybe 1/2". I took the car for a drive down the "main drag" in my neighborhood and got it up to about 45 MPH on a fairly slick road. The car felt pretty sturdy. Could it really have been the stabilizer links? (That is the only thing I have changed so far.)

It feels too good to be true, lol.

· Registered
11,867 Posts
What was the snow like when you had this issue? Very wet and slushy snow, right around the freezing mark, will easily toss a car around if it's thick and rutted. (I expect you know this!)

· Registered
2,834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
What was the snow like when you had this issue? Very wet and slushy snow, right around the freezing mark, will easily toss a car around if it's thick and rutted. (I expect you know this!)
Yeah - it was right around the 30F / -1C mark, that awkward temperature where you're not sure if the roads are frozen or not. It was a fairly dense mixture of snow and slush. The car definitely felt significantly better than it has, although I can't say for sure that I have an apples to apples comparison here.

I'm all too familiar with crappy driving winter conditions, yes (as are you I'm sure!). I think this is the first year the car has felt like this. Something was different than the prior years. I don't want to say the end links solved it yet.

I'll keep an eye on it. Potentially another snow storm tomorrow....

· Registered
5 Posts
I have an 07 95 Aero, and can tell you that the rear camber does make a difference. Mine were off a fraction on the RR, and ws burning through tires , right to the core, every 500 miles. Might be your problem.

What irks me is that those little shims are $136 for 4, from an OEM/dealer. You can get them from eEuroparts for $6, or make them yourself with SS 1" strapping from the hardware store for $1.25.

· Registered
10 Posts
Are you using the "Winter Mode" switch to prevent wheel spin on snow and ice as recommended by the owner's manual? Also, Is the TCS/ESP switch pressed in and the amber warning annunciator light on the instrument cluster is extinguished? The proper operation of these systems will have a HUGE effect on the car's stability in slippery conditions.

· Registered
3 Posts
“Feels unsafe”
Does this mean the car feels like it will over or under steer in snow? Does it slip or slide or lose traction more than it used to under identical conditions? Is the driving, handling change occur under dry conditions?

21 - 40 of 142 Posts