Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

UPDATE - SOLD 12/1 Locally for $1400

Name:
Lach Mullen
Means of contact: [email protected] / 713-568-5424
Price: $1200 obo

Description: We bought this prime-spec wagon about 50,000 miles ago and have LOVED it, but have put a lot of money into it, including a new clutch (last year), new bushings, and a machined and refreshed head (this year). There's also a few mild performance parts on it, mostly to make it more fun, not really faster (BCB turbo bypass valve, open-air filter, silicone coolant and intake hoses, high-pressure intake tube, Konis, H&R springs). It's that beautiful purple-blue color with the tan interior. It could use a cleaning and the clear is ging on the hood, but it's a beautiful car. We replaced it with an Alltrack and it is making me sad to see this gorgeous beast sitting in the driveway next to that nice but comparatively soulless VW. Seriously, how hard is it to have cooled seats 18 years later? Pretty hard I guess...

Unfortunately, in the flooding around Tropical Storm Imelda my wife drove into a way too deep puddle and the car drank a lot of water. No flooding in the vehicle, but I drained GALLONS of water from the intake system and crankcase that night. I cleaned and dried everything, including the intercooler, the turbo, the throttle-body, and the crankcase. All new oil, fluids, and everything. Got the car running, but there's rod knock and what I believe is a bent rod. I can't keep putting money into the car, so I'm selling it as-is.

Buy it and put a newer motor in it. Buy it and drive it with rod knock until it gives out. Buy it and replace the crank, seals, and rods and put a stage 2 tune on it and drive it until it explodes itself to Valhalla. Do whatever you'd like with it since the asking price is so low. Know that it has a lot of good parts on it, including the rear hard tonneau, the front armrest cupholder insert, the Klingons, the mild performance parts, and more. Honestly, it's probably worth it for the 2 DICs, the Klingons with Turanzas, and the rear cargo cover.

Full-price sales will include the net between the rear seats and cargo area, the cheap-*** Yakima crossbars that came with the car when we bought it in 2015, and a new unopened Saab heater core (broken blend door that needs to be replaced, I think I got the last HVAC core in the USA....).

I'd prefer if you bring a trailer, as the rod knock is bad and I just don't feel good about you driving it away like that.

Clean title in hand and current registration.

Full list of newer or performance parts:
Krona strut brace
Koni adjustable shocks
H&R lowering springs
BCB performance turbo bypass valve
K&N open intake (you REALLY hear the turbo, turns heads)
Saab-blue Bluetooth module (streams bt audio from phone, no dongles)
High-pressure intake tube
New throttle body (2017)
New radiator
New coolant hoses
New coolant tank cap
Head gasket done 2019
Head machined and refreshed 2019
New DIC (and spare) (2018)
New clutch and slave cylinder (2018)
New suspension bushings (2017/2019)
New Firestone Tourenza super-quiet and super-sticky tires (2019)
New OEM glass foglights with 3m yellow film (2019)

Pictures:

·
Registered
2,695 Posts
Hi, Tboy! I'm not sure what you mean, since there's just one car. Do you mean part it out?
Sorry, I can see how that sounded funny. I am wondering if you were interested in selling the Bluetooth module (think you called it Saab-blue bluetooth module).

I've toyed with the idea of building one, but never have gotten the motiviation up considering you have to buy like 4 pcbs etc...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I may eventually consider parting out the car, but for now i'm going to see if anyone wants to save it. I'll consider any reasonable offer, especially if it gets the car gone from the driveway.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Frankly shocked nobody's picked this beauty up, so I'll bump it. GLWS!
Thanks. ??

I had somebody come by this weekend, I have it listed for $1500 on local boards. The local who checked it out doesn't drive stick and just bought a low-miles linear though.

I'd love to have it out of the driveway by the 6th of December... someone make an offer. Get it cheap, drop in forged internals, an go all the waaaaaay!

I think the mileage and rod knock is scaring people away, but I can't emphasize enough the amount of work that has gone into this car. The rear is literally FILLED with spare parts too. Everyone knows how much these cars can haul. The car runs and drives so you can take it for a spin around the block and feel how sorted it is aside from the bent rod.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi y'all, juts updating here. I got a lot of interest through Craigslist and ended up selling it locally for $1400. Also as a head's up, I'm sure something was actually wrong with the car but after sitting and running alternatingly for a few weeks the knocking noise went away. The buyer is hoping it was something in the lifters waiting to work out and I hope the best for him. Lesson learned: these are tough little cars!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.