SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi, I bought my first Saab in Jan 2005, a 1998 9-3 Convertible, 31,000 miles. I paid €16,000 for it and got a 3 month warranty. The Soft Top failed in May. Had to replace Ram and the gear was broken in Main motor (found evidence of previous repair to same). Got a replacement 'gear' 2nd hand as it cannot be bought as a spare part, only comes with motor. Total bill €1,344.

Soft top failed again 2 weeks ago (June). According to Saab motor needs to be replaced. Estimate €1,655 parts and €560 Labour & VAT = €2,215. That means that my Saab will have cost me €3,559 since Jan of this year in repairs. I am loosing my love of Saab.

Saab suggested that if i can get a 2nd hand Motor to go ahead and investigate this avenue before committing to buy a new one.

Can anyone help or suggest anywhere cheaper for a Main roof motor for a 1998 9-3 convertible. I'm am being quoted €1,655 + Labour + VAt currently. I am really in a bind. Car is of no use with a broken soft top. It's no fun and i can't sell it. I have no choice, it must be repaired. Have written to dealer and will phone him tomorrow, but i don't expect that he will stand over the car and pay all costs or even contribute, but i will pursue that as best possible. (I didn't buy the car from a Saab dealer in the first instance but Saab are now the ones looking at it)
Please help.....

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Find a small motor rebuild shop in your area. Check the Yellow pages. Many of the shops in my area also have a small machine shop as part of their business so they can repair or fabricate just about any parts. More often than not, they will make it stronger and better after the repair.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the advice. I'm a bit unsure about it though. This part has already been repaired and it failed taking the RAm with it and subseuqently replaced and has failed again, each time adding new labour costs.

I can't keep fixing it only for it to break again and do more damage. I need to bite the bullet and replace the motor. It's just a question of how cheap i can get a new motor.

·
Registered
221 Posts
you might be able to go to a junkyard and take one off a saab there if you can find one. i'm lucky though. i have a 98 900S vert and my top just now is messing up after 7 months. but i have a friend who buys a lot of wrecked saabs and using the parts to fix up others and stuff like that. so i can get a free motor and labor. which is very nice. :D

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok the actual part i need is the hydraulic pump. I can get one from the UK 2nd Hand delivered to my door with a 6 month warranty for €670 + labour of €340 or i can get a new part for €1,880 + labour of €340.

Should i go for the 2nd hand unit and save €1,200 in the short term?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts