SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2000 9-3SE convertible. When my wife got home with the car tonight she told me the top won't go down any longer. Sure enough, it doesn't go down any more.

The down cycle starts and gets as far as the rear window raising. At the point where the cover should come open it doesn't. There's no audible noise of any kind other than a beep to let me know the SID says "Soft Top Failure" and a sigh from myself. There is no issue with the rear window going back down and latching the roof.

Is this likely to be the tonneau cover motor, some stuck latches or just about anything so good luck at the dealer with your bank account?

I tried my best to check the hydraulic fluid level through the two little holes in the trunk and to me it looks like it's 1/2 way between max and min. It's hard to tell since I don't know what color the fluid should be and if what I am seeing it the top of the fluid or a line in an empty tank. Is the fluid clear?

Any info or condolences appreciated. Thanks in advance.

PS. Just yesterday I commented to a co-worker that it's almost paid off so the top should go anytime. I didn't realize self-fulfilling negative prophecies could be projected to inanimate objects. Maybe its feelings are hurt?

·
Registered
10,348 Posts
Probably is dealer time. Take heart, though. They've come up with some new ways to repair these tops over the years. Had an issue with my 99. Back 'in the day' the repair would have been $1,200. Dealer told me a few years ago, a Saab mechanic in NY state came up with a cheaper fix for the same problem. Cost me $250.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts