SaabCentral Forums banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
Great save! There is a 9-3 local to me missing the key and your success makes me tempted to take a look at it.

Used this video for help to bypass the starter relay/CIM to get the car started and move around the lot.

Can you fix that? I dont see a link to the video but would like to know how this is done.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Great save! There is a 9-3 local to me missing the key and your success makes me tempted to take a look at it.

Can you fix that? I dont see a link to the video but would like to know how this is done.

Let me take a couple pictures of how I did it tonight.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
So the alternator was the last part to the puzzle to fix. I know there are a couple posts on getting to the serpentine belt tensioner by removing the engine mount. This can be avoided with using a 3ft breaker once you remove the fender liner. To remove the outer axle, a brass drift and a tap with a 5lb hammer will free up the circlip that holds it in place.

With that done you have to remove the 12mm or 13mm nut for the power supply and the electrical connector. Then you can remove the two bolts to hold the alternator in.

Once the alternator is disconnected put it up onto the steering rack to allow you to get the alternator bracket out. You will need to remove the bracket to be able to get the alternator out.

Once that is done you can remove the alternator and put the new one in. This avoids removing the inner drive shaft and losing transmission fluid.

·
Super Moderator
19,221 Posts
Congrats on the progress - and saving a perfectly good Saab from the crusher.

Re: Oil level sender leak there is a sneaky workaround that does not require dropping the oil pan and does not require RTV at this link.
Nice. Added to the How To sticky.

Also, nice job DeckMan.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Thanks Diggs ;ol;

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Finally got around to getting the interior all fixed up and the damaged doors/hood swapped over. The good news was that the doors just bolted on an no re-coding was needed.

Old

New

Doors swapped over

Next up is to drag it down to the local shop to have them re-calibrate the throttle body and check to make sure everything else is happy with the new CIM/ignition ect. No codes via my code scanner but something is up with the throttle body as it surges up and down with a hunting idle. Hoping to have some final answers on that on Friday and sort the car out to be able to drive it.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Great job. Saving a car from a fool’s mistakes is a great feeling. And cheap.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Loaded her up last night and dropped her off this morning, should hear back in a couple days on the status of what needs re-programming or otherwise was fried during the jumper swaperoo.

Sort of excited to get it sorted and take it for some shake down drives, of course I am sure it will need more little stuff here and there, have a new bumper to put on with a new lip to fix the cracked lower section and a pair of new headlights to swap in.

·
Registered
6,078 Posts
sounds like a vacuum leak, throttle bodies don't need "recalibrating" they bolt on. to my experience replaced many. But forums love "cleaning the maf and TB" its a religion. And of course blaming the tune for everything.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Yep. Every configuration of these cars has its own little quirks, burps, and "features". There's a Tech2 menu for "2.8T - Replaced Throttle Body".

I got mine a few days after the PO bought the car, when he and his PO jumped the car backwards. :ROFLMAO: It's going in for paint soon, so I can finally post pics. So far just ECM (contributing factor) and all four door switch packs. Not too bad so far - last time I counted the car had 34 different controllers (bus talkers).

Nice job. Saabs are worth it.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
sounds like a vacuum leak, throttle bodies don't need "recalibrating" they bolt on. to my experience replaced many. But forums love "cleaning the maf and TB" its a religion. And of course blaming the tune for everything.
Well, pressure test did not find any leaks, the surging only happened after new CIM/Ignition. Cleaning Mafs do jack IMO, cleaning throttle bodies does help if gunked up from oil saturation from a failing PCV.

Yep. Every configuration of these cars has its own little quirks, burps, and "features". There's a Tech2 menu for "2.8T - Replaced Throttle Body".

I got mine a few days after the PO bought the car, when he and his PO jumped the car backwards. :ROFLMAO: It's going in for paint soon, so I can finally post pics. So far just ECM (contributing factor) and all four door switch packs. Not too bad so far - last time I counted the car had 34 different controllers (bus talkers).

Nice job. Saabs are worth it.

Congrats on the save! Yeah saving them when you can is not terrible.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Back from some reprogramming, runs like a champ. There was a residual issue with the security after new CIM/Ignition which required both front door modules to be replaced.

Next up she is on the lift awaiting a new stainless exhaust and the rear wheels to be swapped.

Last things to deal with:
Polish headlights
Put new front bumper on with un-cracked lip
Lube rear brake sliders
Spark Plugs

Then some road miles to make sure all is good!

21 - 33 of 33 Posts