SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
a couple days ago my exhaust started to get louder. now i've owned my 97 for about a year now and i always knew i would have to replace the muffler cause it was rusting out. so today i decided to bring it into the local monroe to have them look at it and get an estimate. well, on the way my freakin exhaust basically fell apart. it was only a 2 mile drive, but the muffler basically blew open and the flex pipe and resonator rotted all the way through and were falling off my car. well i thought it'd only be about $300, low and behold i get a $623 estimate. i couldnt wait for another estimate cause i need my car everyday, so i had to bow down and get it fixed. i did have a 15% coupon though, lol, so i saved some money. oh, and half my car is covered in paint spray-off. long post, sry i had to vent!!!!:evil: :(

·
Registered
304 Posts
Thurs10cmd said:
a couple days ago my exhaust started to get louder. now i've owned my 97 for about a year now and i always knew i would have to replace the muffler cause it was rusting out. so today i decided to bring it into the local monroe to have them look at it and get an estimate. well, on the way my freakin exhaust basically fell apart. it was only a 2 mile drive, but the muffler basically blew open and the flex pipe and resonator rotted all the way through and were falling off my car. well i thought it'd only be about $300, low and behold i get a $623 estimate. i couldnt wait for another estimate cause i need my car everyday, so i had to bow down and get it fixed. i did have a 15% coupon though, lol, so i saved some money. oh, and half my car is covered in paint spray-off. long post, sry i had to vent!!!!:evil: :(
Why was your repair so expensive?

Ta-ta, janusz

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yea i got ripped off, prolly cause im a 19 year old kid, and they probably thought i didnt know better. yet if i had a little more time i could have done a nicer sport exhaust and would have saved some money, but ya know, s*it happens. theres nothing like watching 600 bucks leave your account so quickly, haha.

·
Registered
11,140 Posts
Always, always, always check here first before doing any major (or minor repair)

Intermediate flex pipe is $115 at eeuroparts, which is in Connecticut and usually delivers next day to New England. Middle muffler (resonator) is $75. Replacement clamps are about $8...

You can replace both of these in about an hour, which includes time for the Liquid Wrench to soak into the nuts. Give a little more time if you have to cut through the nuts on the clamps.

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
My day involved locating a water gate (street shutoff valve) that was a bit too high for my vehicle. Ended up catching one of the subframe beams that runs parallel to the length of the car. Missed the oil pan by about an inch....missed the cat converter by 5. Only damage thankfully was a sheared screw that holds some of the underbody plastic bits in place and a scratch on the beam. POR-15 and some rubberized undercoating here I come!!! Investigating the water gate afterwards it became quite apparent that many people have done the same things, bits and pieces of it everywhere in the sand.

·
Registered
867 Posts
I took my car in for an estimate at MIDAS and couldn't believe they wanted more than $250 for just the muffler. A direct replacement can be done in less than an hour.

I decided to adapt universal aftermarked muffler by using some U-clamps , couplers and generic hangers. Getting it to hang riright was a challenge but now I have a nice sounding stainless Magnaflow and everything cost me less than $100 to DIY.

I

·
0 Posts
GaryG,

Can you post some pictures of your installed muffler? Preferable some detailed ones of how you connected to the stock pipe. What model # muffler did you use? Can you list what one needs for this job?

Sorry for the many question but this idea has been on my mind for a while and since it worked for you......would be glad to know how to do it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts