SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since I'm a very impatient person, I decided to go ahead and cut my rear apron in preparation for a new catback exhaust even though Saab has the decor kit on backorder. I did most of the cutting with a jig saw by crawling under the backside of the Linear, did some trim work with a small hack saw and then cleaned up the edges with some 80-grit sand paper on an electric sander. The end result was pretty good, but I had some stringy plastic hanging off... those were disposed of by moving a burning match over the new cutout.

It still didn't look quite right to me, seeing as how the cutout on my father's Aero looks nice and rolled and, since the decor kit is backordered and all, I decided to look for a suitable trimming material just for the hell of it. Autozone and VIP had nothing, but in Wal Mart I found strips of Bell automotive 'Door Edge Guards'... which are black rubber trim pieces with an adhesive on the inside of the slit. Cost? $2.00. How did it fit? Perfectly. How does it look? Pretty sweet.

The only thing I need to do now is test it. If it starts to melt or burn at all, I'll take it off and spring for the decor kit... but I have a feeling that this is going to work just fine.

Thought ya'll might want to know. :D

·
Registered
895 Posts
it wont melt, as long as the tip isnt touching the plastic. even if it was, i still dont think it would melt. its just the tip afterall.

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yep, after a good thrashing it's just fine. I think I'm definitely keeping this on and not buying the decor kit. :):)

·
Registered
413 Posts
Automaggot said:
Considering the $38 difference and stocking issues, this looks just fine to me.
I think thats a neat looking cheap alternative to the decor panel. from directly behind it would look almost identical. What the decor panel gives you is the impression that the bumper is thicker, and it probably does stiffen the panel up a little where the return has been cut away. given that the lower panels on your car are not painted, I think what you have done looks fine. It will look a whole lot better once you get a proper tail pipe (or two!) sticking out through the gap.

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The stainless Magnaflow with dual square tips is being installed. So it'll look exactly like this (though mine will be a catback and not an axle back like this dude's car):

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Apparently this is it:

I found that while searching all the threads regarding Magnaflows. It doesn't look a whole hell of a lot different IMO.

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
Good job Automaggot. For all of you with the Linear & black bottom skirt, this is a great idea.

Now that I think about it, the decor kit is black too, so this would work for color-matched skirting too. :roll:

I hear what Dave N is saying too. Since that skirt is the shape of an "L", the bend provides rigidity. Hacking out a section will cause that section to bend freely. Putting that decor plate in will stiffen it up tot he original rigidity.

But in the end, it's not that much, and it's attached to the bumper which is pretty rigid. Only time will tell. Automaggot, let us know what the long term reviews are, will ya?

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Sure thing. Exhaust is being installed tomorrow too, so I'll be sure and post images and a video clip or two.

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
Are there pics in this thiread? I don't see any...

1 - 20 of 28 Posts