SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just replaced my brake pads, rotors, front suspension, and wheel hubs on my 2009 Saab 9-3, and I was excited to get back to driving. But it turns out the subframe is rusted. I took it a mechanic and he said about 1/4 of the subframe is in very bad condition. I can see a hole on the passenger side looking from the wheel well.

Does anyone have experience with replacing the subframe? I live in Western PA and I’m having trouble just finding the part. There is one on eBay for around $100 for pickup only... in Portland, OR. eSaabParts sells them for $500.

It’s definitely not something I can replace myself, so does anyone know how big a job it is for a mechanic?

·
Registered
823 Posts
You could replace the subframe yourself if you had a floor jack, jack stands, an engine support beam, and the right tools. An experienced Saab shop would cost about 3 hours' labor, according to the Standard Times Mechanical app, so figure another hour or two if the shop's never done this before. Add in the cost of an alignment post-replacement, too.

·
Registered
5,448 Posts
That subframe looks like it is $908.94 at esaabparts for a new one (PN 12762720). You could get a used one from Goldwing Saab in Hastings NY for around $400. Not sure what shipping would be.

Also look at car-part.com and search for engine cradle. Lots out there even near you. From $65.00 to several hundred.

Where did you see it for $500 at esaabparts?

·
Registered
612 Posts
I would call collision shops.....they probably change a lot more because of accident damage than standard mechanics.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts