SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My saab machanic told me today that my engine is actually an opel engine? I've read about the problems the 93 and 94's had, so did gm try a quick fix and drop a opel engine in? just curious

·
Registered
7,975 Posts
all V6 900 engines are opel engines as are the 9000 3.0l V6 and the 9-5 V6 turbo, the only V6 that isnt opel is the new 9-3 V6 turbo but thats a holden engine :roll: the only engine that saab built in the I4 engine

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
boxman said:
all V6 900 engines are Opel engines as are the 9000 3.0l V6 and the 9-5 V6 turbo, the only V6 that isn't Opel is the new 9-3 V6 turbo but thats a holden engine :roll: the only engine that Saab built in the I4 engine
The I4 was originally 1/2 of a Triumph V8 engine; Saab made so many changes and improvements from '68 that it "became" a Saab engine..

A rumor( which I believe not) - the Saab I4 and the 2 liter Renault use the same block !!

The two-stroke was derived from the German DKW..
And where would VW be without the Audi engine ?

I've heard that Holdens are quite good.
But, is the Holden V6 a GM design or an Aussie design ??
Or both :cheesy:

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
nocluetim said:
Isn't the Holden a Cadillac engine? The same one they put in the STS?
The Opel engine is the same design as in the Cadillac Catara which later became the CTS, which used a 3.2L V6 in the first generation CTS. The STS is a 4.6L V8 Northstar garbage engine, believe me, the Northstar is crap one it gets past 150,000km on it, all aluminum garbage.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Diosnoche said:
The Opel engine is the same design as in the Cadillac Catara which later became the CTS, which used a 3.2L V6 in the first generation CTS. The STS is a 4.6L V8 Northstar garbage engine, believe me, the Northstar is crap one it gets past 150,000km on it, all aluminum garbage.
Oops, that's right. I was thinking the CTS but typed STS. I have a buddy that has the CTS and loves it. I also have a coworker that owns a 9-3 Aero Combi with that engine but it's turbocharged. IMO, I'd rather have the Combi any day. :cheesy:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts