SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now come on, I'm interested to hear the facts behind it.

I have read a few claims on here! I can't understand how given the wide torque band in 5th is bad vs: 1st, 2nd.

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
no boosting in 5th? oops :lol: that's the gear i boost the most in, i haven't had much trouble... except when the wastegates closed and i fry my clutch :roll:

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
um...never heard that one before. its fine as far as i know. spiking boost might result in problems, but that holds true for any gear.

·
Registered
13,139 Posts
I believe you can boost anytime in any gear without damaging anything. (One man's opinion.)

·
Registered
5,779 Posts
Woy, I think people have "guessed" that fact out of thin air because 5th gear is sort of "tacked on" as it were - but, there won't be much case flex in 5th (compared to first, second gears), which is one of the main reasons things fail in the first place.

Boost away!

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
Jim Mesthene said:
I believe you can boost anytime in any gear without damaging anything. (One man's opinion.)
Its a mystery how these gearboxes fail so. ( the ones with oil in them )

·
Registered
13,139 Posts
I think it's road forces (potholes,etc.) fed back into the pinion bearings that damage the bearings. Compared to those forces, the smooth engine power is harmless.
I have no evidence that this is so, but it's my opinion. That's also my explanation for city gearboxes failing in 60-100k and highway gearboxes lasting much longer.

·
Banned
5,841 Posts
nutcase said:
It's first, and to a lesser extent, 2nd, that you don't want to be boosting in.
That is good advice for longevity but at some point you just have to say "Fook it:lol:"

Enjoy yourself responsibly, boosting in in any gear is fun but I would always say select the correct gear for the road speed and power range, no point in boosting at 40mph in 5th gear unless you have 1000 newton torque metres:lol:

Jim Mesthene said:
I think it's road forces (potholes,etc.) fed back into the pinion bearings that damage the bearings. Compared to those forces, the smooth engine power in harmless.
I notice long ago that when I go over speed bumps in gear of which I go over hundreds a week the car was very stable but if I coast over a bump the car feels jaggy and springy, I figures the gearbox+engine is controlling the speed as I come up and down the bump so it must be taking some back lash/impact force, if I coast over a bump the car bounces as its just free wheeling and the springs/ shocks takes the load, so I figure I am sparing the gearbox, I think this could be what your taking about and its true that highway cars and boxes last much longer but this could also be the difference in the huge force required to get a 1300Kg car moving at speed from 0mph which happens hundreds of times in a city with all the lights and corners, my 10 bob bit:lol:

·
Registered
7,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I just go easy on easy off in all gear, no sudden throttle slams.

I boost in 2nd gear to redline; however, I got easy on easy off

I agree with Jim, but that is me.

People are running around with all kinds of strange advice on here, I just want to know the proof behind it.

·
Registered
7,033 Posts
The worst thing you can do is lose traction and then hook up under power. Beyond that, just be smooth.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Fifth gear may be an afterthought, but since it's in the primary case it has plenty of support around it. The primary case is much thicker than the main case.

·
Registered
252 Posts
heres how i think of it (cycling)

if you're not going too fast, but still put it in the hardest gear (big up front, small in the back) and start to crank hard, your knees are gonna get mad. And you're not allowed to sit up and get outta the saddle, i mean sitting down and trying to torque at the cranks. its tough, ligaments = ow.

ligaments = casing?

casing = ow

turboy = wanting to go for a ride.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts