SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
Shouldn't need a special tool, it's a torx screw, can't remember what size though. If you don't have one, you can pick one up at any store that sells hand tools.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Also, if you don't already have a set of torx screwdrivers, you may want to pick one up. Our friends across the big pond seem to love torx screws. :cheesy:

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
From Big Lots, believe it or not, for $2 or $3 I was able to buy a fairly nice screwdriver with bits(Phillips,torx,slot) that replaced the missing tool in the spare tire well.. I was lucky...

Anyway, nothing special is needed but basic tools and average skills and above average perservearance..This is ,IMO, a poor design, unreasonably complex for what it is; also some POs(previous owners) jam in whatever works rather than the correct 5w "festoon" bulb.
See your owner's manual, p120..

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
As earthworm mentioned, there is a small selection of tools in the spare tire well, which would contain the torx size you need. This will work in a pinch (if yours is still there), but I wouldnt make it common pratice to use these tools - they are intended for occasional/emergency use and likely of poor quality steel. It is always a good idea to have a basic set of tools around for your car even if you are not a mechanic/do-it-yourselfer.

For a Saab, this ideal bare-bones kit would include:

screwdrivers
3/8" ratchet
5" extension
8-19mm metric socket set
t10-t50 torx socket set
2-12mm allen socket set

If occasional use is all you're after, all of the above could be had from a discount place like Harbor Freight for $20-40.

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
um......
the correct torx driver is part of the 9-3 trunk tool set.

good luck not stripping the screw!!!!! ;)

·
Registered
2 Posts
License plate bracket light torx screws

I'm looking for replacement screws for the license plate light bracket. Anyone know where I can find OEM screws and/or part number? It's for a 2002 Saab 9-3 SE Turbo.

·
Registered
9,596 Posts
I'm looking for replacement screws for the license plate light bracket. Anyone know where I can find OEM screws and/or part number? It's for a 2002 Saab 9-3 SE Turbo.
According to a Saab dealer, you can't. The torx head screws are shipped only with a replacement licence plate holder.

A local Saab shop gave me some stainless Phillips screws of the right thread and extreme shortness. Maybe a specialty hardware store will have something like that (metric thread, obviously).

If you get lucky in a junkyard, you might find a few OEM licence plate screws, but I have been looking for a while and I only have a few.

·
Registered
10,376 Posts
Are you looking to replace your license plate bracket screws, or the license plate light holder screws? If it's for the license plate bracket, then Arens6 is right on the money, although you could find some regular stainless steel screws (not Torx head) at most any hardware store for a fraction of the cost. You should be able to find license plate light holder screws at a hardware store, too.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I believe I saw the same TORX screws at Lowes yesterday. Lowes or Home Depot will have the screws you need cheaper. I just like the TORX style. I am crazy like that.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
You can find comparable screws at automotive parts stores or general hardware stores like Home Depot or Lowes. Home Depot or Lowes will prob be cheaper. It may not be Torx, but that's not necessary. Ideally they should be stainless steel so they don't rust out. Make sure the screw is short enough so that you don't end up drilling a hole in your bodywork...

·
Registered
2 Posts
License plate light bracket screws

This jakalil.

Yes, I am lookong for the screws for the light lense cover to the license plate light. I will post a pic if allowed on this forum, but the screw specs are 3mm diameter, 0.5 thread pitch, 3.8mm shoulder diameter, 2.5mm shoulder length. The screw is tiny, stainless steel, torx head with a shoulder, tight metric threads, and a pointed tip.

I ordered a complete lense replacement, which included screws in the description, from eeuroparts.com, but when the new lense arrived the screws were simple black sheet metal screws, 0.5" length 1/8" diameter- too big, too long, and didnt fit the lense much less the existing smaller metric holes.

I tried Fastenal, Lowes, Home Depot, Radio Shack, and just about every search engine and screw website i could find. You would be surprised what you find when you search "find tiny screw." Let's just say I discovered more than I was looking for without finding what I needed.

I searched and called local auto yards- no Saabs yet.

Still searching.

·
Registered
12,353 Posts
This jakalil.

Yes, I am lookong for the screws for the light lense cover to the license plate light. I will post a pic if allowed on this forum, but the screw specs are 3mm diameter, 0.5 thread pitch, 3.8mm shoulder diameter, 2.5mm shoulder length. The screw is tiny, stainless steel, torx head with a shoulder, tight metric threads, and a pointed tip.

I ordered a complete lense replacement, which included screws in the description, from eeuroparts.com, but when the new lense arrived the screws were simple black sheet metal screws, 0.5" length 1/8" diameter- too big, too long, and didnt fit the lense much less the existing smaller metric holes.

I tried Fastenal, Lowes, Home Depot, Radio Shack, and just about every search engine and screw website i could find. You would be surprised what you find when you search "find tiny screw." Let's just say I discovered more than I was looking for without finding what I needed.

Still searching.
It might help if you identify the year and model of the car that you're asking about. Then, those who have an electric parts catalog (EPC) should be able to at least provide the part number of the screws... Ron

·
Registered
9,596 Posts
This jakalil.

Yes, I am lookong for the screws for the light lense cover to the license plate light.

Still searching.
Try posting in the parts for sale/wanted section. I'm in Canada so it's not cost-effective to post something to the US (where I presume you are). But there may be someone local with some spares. Also, which model you have. There may be differences between 900 and 9-3 screws.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts