SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, not so good today.
Driving across the Sydney Harbour Bridge when the car start to jerk and hop. Coasted across with the car stalling, got it off this major road and is at home. At this stage I had no CEL, after turning it off and trying again and it hopping and spluttering a CEL came up. Car is 2000 Aero 5 speed 134000km and has been serviced by the book with intermediate oil changes, the next one is almost due. Where do I start?

·
Registered
11,030 Posts
Does the engine turn over and run? When was the DI last changed? It could be dying and causing multiple misfires hence the poor running and CEL. Getting the code read will give a conclusive diagnosis rather than going through all the possible causes for poor running.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Engine turns over and comes to a good idle. I will try and get it to an indy tomorrow morning.

Checked the plugs, they look ok(will change when I can get some or have the indy replace them) DI was replaced at 70k kms.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Its with the indy, after I drove it very gingerly there. It seemed ok but not as lively as normal( I was beeing really light on the throttle though), no surging or stalling and it was idling ok. Hopefully the Tech II will reveal all. I was thinking throttle body after all that. What does a car in limp home mode feel like?

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
greenmatt said:
What does a car in limp home mode feel like?
It feels like some one stole your turbo and made you drag Aires Rock behind the car:eek:

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Chris 9-5 said:
It feels like some one stole your turbo and made you drag Aires Rock behind the car:eek:
Nice localised analogy, it didnt feel that bad just like it was being held back or there was no boost, so maybe thats not it, enough postulating from me, will find out soon enough. thanks for your help.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Turns out it was the MAP sensor being gummed up/blocked, they cleaned it out. All seems well now, I am a very happy camper. But I think I might get a spare DI, any tips on getting one (probably on ebay)?

·
Registered
11,030 Posts
I'd personally buy a new one, install that and keep the old as a spare in the boot/trunk. Ebay ones are an unknown quantity.

·
Registered
9 Posts
DI’s are expensive in Australia, about $550 new and the best price used is around $300 + gst from ASV Euro car spares in Sydney, 61 Miowera Rd. Villawood NSW 2163 Ph: (02) 9725 8666or Saabwreck in Melbourne (03) 9543 2828.

Ebay is a bit risky for second hand DI’s and you only seem to see red ones in Aus but you can get a new one in UK or US for half the price and have them shipped probably cheaper freight from US.

Have a look at http://www.thesaabsite.com/95/95ignition.htm

Mitay

1 - 10 of 10 Posts